Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do I need a washer in the terminal? >

Do I need a washer in the terminal?

Do I need a washer in the terminal?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Default Do I need a washer in the terminal?

I re-wired my Singer 15-125 into a terminal block. The lamp and the motor share one of the screw posts. Do I need some type of fiber washer between them or is it ok that they are touching?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Wires on the same post do not use fiber washers typically. Sometimes a brass washer is used under the nut to help keep wires from moving as you tighten the nut. Fiber washers are used as insulators. This is if I understand you clearly, & i may not. From Mars ya know...
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Yeah Venus here..and poor communicator. You are understanding me. I was worried about something shorting out. I am good at following clear directions for wiring but still haven't mastered the whole concept. I'll get there. Thank you. It sounds like I am in the clear for plugging it in and seeing if we have lift off!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM

If youve missed some of the other suggestions I and others posted...suggest you plug it into a GFCI outlet (kitchen or bath)'withe the little button that pops out. Not having that maybe in an outlet strip with a fuse or circuit breaker built in. Im sure you're fine. But theres a readon my nickname is Sparky!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

If we dont hear back we'll call the fir....
What? Me worry!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Keep left hand in pocket. Wear rubber soled shoes. Forget the kitchen or bath, hate to think about sinks, water....
Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Later i will show how to put a fuse inline with your test outlet receptacle. An assortment of 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2 amp fuses etc...
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM

LOL,

No you don't need any form of washer between the wires on the same terminal.

Joe
Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM

You are too funny! I have an outlet strip with a surge protector attached to my workbench. We have lift off! The motor fired right up. I haven't been able to attach the flywheel yet as plans changed for the day and I have a little grandson here now, so I am in thinking mode rather than doing mode.

I am going to have to work out another little thing. When I went to crimp on my connectors I found the lamp had been re-wired with 16 ga. (wasn't me!) Now terminal 3 where the motor and the lamp wires both attach is a little too crowded and the screw down doesn't want to tighten more than halfway.

Hmm options are, re-wire the lamp with 18 gauge wire. (I don't love that one!) How about I carefully file down the thickness of the insulation just a hair more than enough and then put a bit of heat shrink over it to make it equal in size to the 18 gauge? It would just have to be for that last eighth of an inch where it exits the terminal.

What do you think?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:30 PM

I'd thin it out.

But then in the Singer connection blocks I don't use connectors. I twist the wire, then bend it around a screwdriver to make a ring the right size for the posts and solder it. Then I flatten the soldered ring to make it thinner.

Joe