Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arkansas Razorback Quilt and 1 question >

Arkansas Razorback Quilt and 1 question

Arkansas Razorback Quilt and 1 question

Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Default Arkansas Razorback Quilt and 1 question

I've designed a quilt in EQ7 for my Pastor who is from Little Rock, Arkansas and is an avid Arkansas Razorback Football fan. The quilt block used is called Arkansas Crossroads.

It will be for his birthday which is this october. It is turning out so well, that I may not want to give it away.

The saying will be free-motioned embroidered. Note: I've put his name and birthday in a layout that is how it would be done, if the saying was a Biblical scripture...as in (Psalm 91:2).

Now to my question. The pig is to be appliqued. I bought solid red and black for that...but now am wondering if I should use the quilts red and red/black print to make him. what do you think? Actually thought of making 2 of them and seeing which one works best.

Also, the pig's bottom layer is to be black, with the next layer in red, then the definitions (shadows, teeth, etc.) will be layered on top of the red. Do you think this will be too bulky? Don't know how to get around that and make him look right. I was thinking of using freezer paper to fasten it all down before sewing to the quilt...but think that would make it too stiff.

Any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails arkansas-razorback-eq7-design.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
I've designed a quilt in EQ7 for my Pastor who is from Little Rock, Arkansas and is an avid Arkansas Razorback Football fan. The quilt block used is called Arkansas Crossroads.

It will be for his birthday which is this october. It is turning out so well, that I may not want to give it away.

The saying will be free-motioned embroidered. Note: I've put his name and birthday in a layout that is how it would be done, if the saying was a Biblical scripture...as in (Psalm 91:2).

Now to my question. The pig is to be appliqued. I bought solid red and black for that...but now am wondering if I should use the quilts red and red/black print to make him. what do you think? Actually thought of making 2 of them and seeing which one works best.

Also, the pig's bottom layer is to be black, with the next layer in red, then the definitions (shadows, teeth, etc.) will be layered on top of the red. Do you think this will be too bulky? Don't know how to get around that and make him look right. I was thinking of using freezer paper to fasten it all down before sewing to the quilt...but think that would make it too stiff.

Any ideas???
I made a Razorback Quilt -- it is all hand satin-stitch embroidery on whole cloth, using a 12" red border. My cousin in Oklahoma quilted it for me (she has a quilt shop) and it turned out really nice. My nephew and his bride were very happy with it (it ws a wedding gift, and is shown in my avatar! If you wish, I can send you a better photo! Your quilt is beautifully pieced. I spent 5 months doing the embroidery on this thing, but it was worth it in the long run. I also made pillow shams to go with it! My nephew and his bride made a whole room, including their bathroom, decorated razorback!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-08-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:39 AM

Sorry, don't know, but that is going to be a great quilt -- love the colors and the design!!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 AM

are you using fusible? maybe when you do your cut outs, you can just trim the fusible so you just get the edges. The middle trimmed out. Also you can trim out the black under the red if you are worried about too much bulk. It could get thicker where you have the tusks. If you are worried about the colors, I think I would make two of the applique. Fuse it together on an applique sheet, then audition them on the quilt to see which one you like better. You can use the 2nd app for a pillow or your 2nd quilt! Its gonna be great! love it...
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
are you using fusible? maybe when you do your cut outs, you can just trim the fusible so you just get the edges. The middle trimmed out. Also you can trim out the black under the red if you are worried about too much bulk. It could get thicker where you have the tusks. If you are worried about the colors, I think I would make two of the applique. Fuse it together on an applique sheet, then audition them on the quilt to see which one you like better. You can use the 2nd app for a pillow or your 2nd quilt! Its gonna be great! love it...

Trimming the layers was going to be my suggestion too. Just looking at your draft my first thought is to use the two fabrics already in the quilt the white it sits on is enough to define it and it shouldn't get lost in the overall design. But either will be beautiful it's one of those design choices that neither is the wrong decision.

This will be awesome when it's done can't wait to see the real thing.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 PM

What a wonderful thing to do......your Pastor should really love this. Happy quilting
Old 05-11-2014, 02:37 AM

I am wondering the same thing...when you are done, how will you part with it? lol...
Very well-designed :-)
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 AM

Trimming the layers is your answer. There are UTube videos to help and Kim Diehl's website might help too. If it were me, I would do the appliqué in the solids as that is the "official" Razorback design. Love your design and he will too! If any of his fellow Razorback fans see it, be prepared with a cost sheet as you will be swamped with requests!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I agree. Trimming your layers will be your best bet. Your design came out excellent. Good Luck. He is going to treasure it always !!