Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've joined the club >

I've joined the club

I've joined the club

Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Ouch, sorry it happened to you!

I sewed my finger twice in one week! Luckily, my acrylic nail saved me, it would have easily gone through my own thin nails. Now I'm scared and doubly cautious.

Yesterday I sliced a piece of my thumb off trying to put the food processor blade away. I didn't go to the ER because what can they do? There's nothing to sew on and nothing to stitch together. It just shaved a piece off the surface. What an inconvenient place, on my "working hand".

For those of you with this type of accident, do you remember how long it takes to heal? Mine is still bleeding.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Ooh, ooh, ouch! I keep getting invitations to join this club but I've declined each time.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
For those of you with this type of accident, do you remember how long it takes to heal? Mine is still bleeding.
Ohh, please be careful! I don't like to go to the ER either but if it's still bleeding after too long please do go, or call your doctor and see if you can stop in. If there's nothing else to be done they can at least put stuff on the wound to make it stop bleeding and help sort of seal it up so you're less likely to get an infection.

My thumb is throbbing today too, I gave myself a steam burn at lunch time. Sigh. Hands are so useful, but also so fragile!!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:13 PM

I hope I never join your club. Sorry to hear you joined.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 PM

I too belong to that club.....ten or so years ago, I put the needle thru my left index finger. Thankfully it went in right next to my nail and didn't hit the bone. It was not fun turning the wheel to back it out though. I was using a zipper foot and just got it too close....ouch. Had a regular Dr. app't the next and showed to the Dr. and he immediatley ordered a tetnus shot. Said anytime you get a puncture wound, you should be sure that you have had a tetnus shot within the last ten years. Hope you heal quickly.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
OUCH! That is a big Ouchie! Can't say I have joined that club yet...and would prefer to be on the outside!
Me too!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:14 PM

I've done it twice about 30 years apart. Both times it went right thru the nail. The first time I just pulled it out, the second time it broke off and I ended up at a sports doctor and she removed it. Some of us are less coordinated than others. LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM

I really like the Band-Aid brand Activ-Flex bandages I tried for the first time. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ban...c-00005609ed29

I placed one around my thumb and another kind of at a slant around the tip and angled down. It is staying in place well. I cut a slit on the second one, on the thumb pad side to get it to conform to my finger.

It seems to have some silicone in it, and seems very durable as I've gotten it wet a few times. I was having issues with everything else slipping off my finger.

I've been able to knit with it, and if my cold is truly gone I may be able to sew today!

This might work for you to replace what the Dr. put on your finger, or if (like me) you didn't go to the Dr.

I'm talking about my thumb incident. Luckily, when I sewed my finger the acrylic nail broke but saved the needle from going all the way through! My fake nails were very thick before I started doing my own!

Hope you're feeling better by now!