Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm learning a LOT more about this Featherweight than I had planned! >

I'm learning a LOT more about this Featherweight than I had planned!

I'm learning a LOT more about this Featherweight than I had planned!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Wow Gina, that was a super post - thank you for all of the information! I will try everything, especially that Simple Green bath for my little pal.

So, I can use the Carnuba wax over the entire machine - even the decals?
Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM

Yes that's what he said. It wil be safe for the decals too. I'm glad you could use the information. I really enjoyed the class, and my featherweight is running much better after I oiled her more thoroughly.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 AM

I use charcoal for BBQ to remove odors, works like a charm.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 AM

I also use a Trouble Light balanced inside the case and leave it on for days. The end of the light with the cord keeps the lid slightly open leaving space. I make sure nothing is touching the shield as that does get warm or even hot. I read this somewhere a long time ago and has worked very well for me. Supposedly the heat from the light kills whatever is causing the odor. I am very careful in the placement and have never scorched anything. I imagine the low light bulb just keeps a constant warm temperature. I just used it in another Featherweight case and it worked pretty good. For the larger cases it's easier.
Good Luck,
Lisa
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 AM

My last featherweight had a slight odor to the machine and the case. I put it outside in the sunlight all day and it did seem to help some. Then somewhere, I don't believe it was on this board, I read to use a bar of Irish Spring. Put it in the case, close the case and let it set for a week. I am currently using this method. I can't tell you yet it is will totally remove the smell but I do think it is working. For the machine, I just let it sit outside in the sun for a few hours every day that the sun shines. I think it is slowly losing it's smell also. I might add these odors were not very bad so I don't know about these techniques if the odor is extremely pungent.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM

I got a Featherweight off Ebay - no case, only 1 bobbin but the price was great & I was able to pick it up right in my town. I got the DVD from David McCallum at www.Featherweight221.com and did all the cleaning, oiling, lubing and cleaning up the finish myself. It was very easy and he is full of info on cleaning both the machine and case. My Joann looks great (named because I met the seller in the parking lot of a Joann's) and I saved myself a lot of money. Sure the book and DVD cost almost $80 but I would have spent that much to take it to my local service guy and he wouldn't have cleaned up the finish as well as I did and I can do all future work on it!! Check out his website - he really knows his stuff!! Good luck!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Yes, the person who sold me the machine recommended McCallum's DVD. I'm guessing she didn't take the time to use it with this particular Featherweight, though.

My shopping list is getting longer....now adding the Irish Spring and charcoal!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:06 PM

For the replacement felt pad: You do not have to glue it down, it will stay where it is put. I suspect it is old oil that you are trying to clean up. Liquid Wrench is OK for that, just wipe down with sewing machine oil when done cleaning.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 PM

I've used all kinds of things for the smelly box and finally got rid of it - not sure which one worked - but here's my list - a bag of cheap coffee from the $ tree, opened just a bit - sunlight - Febreeze - fabric softener sheets - Stinkies from Walmart - vanilla in a coffee cup - newspapers - opened bar of cheap soap, and some others I've forgotten about. Took a few weeks of back & forth.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 PM

I had a really nasty smelling case, also covered with mold, inside and out. After cleaning with dish soap and a small amount of bleach, it took 2-3 weeks of daily sunbaths to get the odor to recede. Patience is a necessary requirement in dealing with all things old. I always keep a bar of Zest, in an opened box, in all of my cases.