Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help to remove possible grease stain on quilt >

Need help to remove possible grease stain on quilt

Need help to remove possible grease stain on quilt

Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Need help to remove possible grease stain on quilt

My friend just got her quilt back from longarm quilter and now she notices a possible grease stain on it. When she picked her quilt up, it did not have the stain so she thinks maybe she caught part of the quilt in the card door. What would be a good remover for her? An help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Whatever she decides to use, test it on some scraps first.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Will brown paper over it then ironed or is this for something else?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM

try goop or blue dawn
Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Try dawn dish detergent. Very good on grease but also very benign - no harsh chemicals. Test first, of course, but what I would try is a bit of dawn on an overly damp white cloth and rub the spot. It might spread the initial spot/stain a bit but it should eventually all come out.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Ditto but don't use an iron on it. that's for removing wax and you use brown shipping paper or a paper bag or scrap piece of cloth. If you can scrape some of the stain off (it may be grease)and do it from out side of the stain toward the center of the stain. Try a little ammonia on a test piece of same material. If that works then gently use a cloth dipped in ammonia and wipe from outside toward center. You don't want to spread it. You can try Dawn straight from the bottle ( a little dab) and see if that works also. Just test on scrap material first. good luck!
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Whatever she decides to use, test it on some scraps first.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM

You can rub cornstarch into the stain using an old toothbrush. Let it sit awhile and brush or vac off. repeat as needed.

You can also rub with a wet cloth and Ivory soap(the bar soap). Let sit awhile. Rinse with a wet cloth and water only.
The Ivory soap is my favorite method for treating stains on anything washable. On a quilt I've put a dry towel under where the spot is and treated the spot as above. After treating gently blot stain area top and bottom with dry toweling to absorbed as much water as possible. If you see white rings after drying - that's dried soap - rinse again.
You an also just wash the entire quilt after treating with the soap. You can leave the soap in the quilt until you are ready to wash, it won't hurt the quilt.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Is it the black goofy stuff? Take a butter knife and carefully scrap off most of the grease. Spread the extra grease on some of the quilt scraps and try different cleaning products on them. Remember anything used on the top can migrate through to the backing when cleaning.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 AM

This may help. My younger sister taught me her trick for getting grease (diesel) out of fabric. Sounds silly but it works with no residue. Buy Crest toothpaste and use it on the grease. Then wash in cold water. She says it has to be the white Crest, so that is what I use to take grease stains off DH t-shirts. Works great!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
try goop or blue dawn
I have used blue dawn on grease spots with success as mentioned in dakotamaid's post.