Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got invited to set up a booth, need your thoughts & opinions please >

Got invited to set up a booth, need your thoughts & opinions please

Got invited to set up a booth, need your thoughts & opinions please

Old 05-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Got invited to set up a booth, need your thoughts & opinions please

What suggestions would you have on setting up a booth at a vendor fair?
I would have just smaller items, baby quilts, burp cloths, quilted pot holders and such. Quilted Mug rugs, among other things. It sounds like fun to do once anyway as I am not concerned about making big money, just more the experience of it. Any ideas or thoughts, suggestions is appreciated. Do I need a peddler license for a vendor fair? I would be new at this and would like to educate myself as best as I can. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM

First of all congratulations! You will have fun!
(2) regarding the vendor license, I'd ask who ever invited you what things you need to know like this, as it varies from state to state and place to place.
(3) depending on where it is, or what it's for there may be a booth fee, or a % of sold fee. Be sure and ask a@ this before hand.
(4) you will probably need to bring your own tables / items for set up howevee if it's at a church or banquet hall sometimes they will provide the tables. If so ask if they charge for using them, some places do.
(5) use a solid. Lor table cloth for displaying your it's, as a solid color / print will distract from the colors of the items you have for sale.
(6) if you have a peg board piece you could use place hook on it to hang any item you could, bibs, bags, .....
(7) if you have a baby dool size crib/ rocker ...use this to displays the baby quilts in / on.
(8) condor taking orders if your interested in doing this. If so make some business cards (can be done off home computer without a program, very easy to do) then take a note book for I do.
(9) if a you code to make a custom item, get Atleast 12 of the payment BEFORE you start.
(10) if your interested in doing this take some samples of the fabric you have or know you can get more of
(11h most of all HAVE FUN!

Don't know if this was the kind of advice/suggestions you were looking for but I hope it helps you out!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Thanks, it is exactly what I am looking for! I am not looking to take any orders, nor do I want too! I only want to do this for fun and the experience. I would like enough to cover my booth cost if possible if not that is ok too, there is a small fee. I have plenty of items in mind that I could work up quickly, and I have plenty of time to build a supply of items. Thanks for your suggestions and tips!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Be sure to look into the laws on collecting sales tax and reporting.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 AM

I joined a quilting ministry at my church last year. We participate in a craft fair in November to get the money to buy quilting supplies and fabric for the year. We make quilts for the sick. The big hit last year at the fair was table runners. There were 20 some and they sold out quickly. Profits were $900+. Hope you do as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Visual displays always help. Maybe a doll crib for the baby quilts etc. maybe table runner,which sell good here to, with glasses or dinnerware on one, Potholders in a cute basket. Sometimes people just need to be nudged in the right direction. How many times have we said why did'nt I think of that.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

If there is any way you can get some of your items displayed at eye level, do that! A peg board was mentioned, you can hang stuff on small garment racks or hall trees for example.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 AM

Don't forget lunch, & a chair. Find out where it held at before the day of, take enough change with you & have a buddy or relief n case you have to go to the bathroom. this might sound petty, but all of them are important. I've doing a vendor fair soon, after many years. Just watch your merchandise &your cash, & purse if you take one. A fanny pack would be a good idea & dress for the weather. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM

These are fun. I have done many, and they can sometimes be lucrative and other times not. It so much depends on the weather, who shows up and the phase of the moon (LOL). If you are doing table runners and home items, try to make them in prints for the season, ie brights and patriotic for summer, autumn prints in the fall, holiday later in the year. People do tend to buy what they can use right away as opposed to something to be stored for a while before using.

Ditto to the change, chair, lunch. I also have a cooler with water.

The advice on displaying items is right on point. Think of levels and separating items vertically so they can be seen. You never know what will catch a buyer's eye. Pegboards are great, and I use skirt hangers to display flat items.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If there is any way you can get some of your items displayed at eye level, do that!
Yes! Height is important and will help people notice your stuff from a distance and will make your booth look more interesting overall. If your booth has a canopy of some kind, consider hanging coat hangers or stringing a bungie cord from the bars inside with some of your small & bright goodies clipped up (clothes pins are cheap and appropriate) so they can be seen from far away even if you have people in front of your table.

In addition to change & a chair, etc - consider having some hand sewing projects with you to work on. Some customers want to be talked to, some shop more comfortably if they feel they have a little privacy - try to sense what your customers are like and if they want to feel left alone you can stitch away on whatever you're working on and they won't feel rushed or awkward. Don't ignore them - try to glance up and smile now and then so they know you're available, but don't feel like every person needs (or wants) 100% of your attention. Plus it helps reinforce that the things in your booth are hand made. AND it'll give you something to do when it's slow!

Plastic bags are a good thing to bring too, if you're selling cloth goods that could become dirty.

If you're going to be outdoors, bring something to weigh down lighter items in case it gets windy.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head! GOOD LUCK! I hope you do well.