Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I've lost my mind... >

I think I've lost my mind...

I think I've lost my mind...

Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Jan, I LOVE your little home!

I'd love a log cabin in the woods myself, but in Florida the termites would have it for lunch. Couldn't afford to maintain two homes like the snowbirds do, so I'll be content with camper.

The Bernina would definitely come in the house, it's too humid to have her outside for long. The camper will most definitely have a/c! Did I mention I live in FLORIDA? We have a wee bit of humidity here occasionally.

Now, the longarm idea I love!! I can't fit one in the house. But they probably cost as much as the camper will!

I've been all over the Pinterest boards. I just have to find someone in Florida who will part with one big enough for me.

Thanks for the encouragement! My DH will be so thrilled.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 AM

I have a sewing machine that I take everywhere... I keep a large vinyl table cloth in my sewing bag that I spread out on picnic tables so I can have a clean space to work with when I sew at various campgrounds. Works great. Learned it from one of the ladies who used to stay at our RV park when I was a kid. She always took her machine outside to quilt on the picnic table since her RV was so small. Many of the ladies in the park would bring their hand-work and sit with her while she sewed. It was quite a sight. But everyone loved it and I'm sure it's where I gained my love of quilting! So, buy yourself a camper and sew, sew, sew - wherever you go!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Hubby finally retired - we have a pull behind trailer. I take my quilting with us when we travel. My machine goes in the back of the tow vehicle to protect it from temperature extremes. My cutting board goes under the mattress. I carry less clothes than fabric. Hubby also knows all fabric shops are stopping points.
I love retirement!
I say you go for it - you are in your right mind.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
My DH has been having so much fun going for long, out-of-state motorcycle rides, leaving me at home (I'm usually very OK with that). So, I've decided I need a toy of my own, so I can go have fun, too. No, not a motorcycle... a vintage camper!! I want one something fierce. Can you picture it? A tricked-out trailer with darling curtains set in a beautiful place, with nothing to listen to but the singing of birds, the wind in the trees, and my vintage Bernina whirring along on something fun!

So, the question is: have I lost my mind? Does anybody else sew in a camper??

And if I find one, I'm going to have "Sew Happy" painted over the door!
Funny to see this post from you *today*... look at the two little gems I found on Craigslist earlier today...

These two are *screaming* to be done into a sewing room on wheels:

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4481295631.html

And this one... (think creatively, now... lol) ....

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4402863576.html
Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
For me the dream is a cabin in the woods. I would rather have all of the comforts of home in a remote location without all of the hassles of camping. Real toilet and hot running water are at the top of the list of comforts along with good lighting and unlimited electric outlets.
This is my kinda camping.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:25 AM

Have enjoyed reading the posts here. MaryAnnMac, do you go out riding with your husband? My husband has always been crazy about motorcycles and I hated them. About 20 years ago we tried out a large cruiser bike and I've been holding down the back seat ever since and loving every minute of it (except when it rains). I am comfortable and relaxed. Wonderful way to see the countryside and get fresh air. In fact, next week we are going to a touring rally where we'll spend 7 days and do this annually. I find I have plenty of time to myself to sew while he's doing his hunting and fishing thing. Biking is one of the things we now both enjoy.

Jan, I love your cabin. So authentic and cozy looking. Several times while driving through VA on our way to TN to visit friends, I have thought of you and your many references to your cabin. Blue Ridge Mt. area is so pretty.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Sounds rather like my 200 year old cottage "in the pasture."
Bliss! <3

Jan in VA

Picture taken before I moved in 6 years ago.
Jan, I love your cottage in such a peaceful, beautiful setting.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
My DH has been having so much fun going for long, out-of-state motorcycle rides, leaving me at home (I'm usually very OK with that). So, I've decided I need a toy of my own, so I can go have fun, too. No, not a motorcycle... a vintage camper!! I want one something fierce. Can you picture it? A tricked-out trailer with darling curtains set in a beautiful place, with nothing to listen to but the singing of birds, the wind in the trees, and my vintage Bernina whirring along on something fun!

So, the question is: have I lost my mind? Does anybody else sew in a camper??

And if I find one, I'm going to have "Sew Happy" painted over the door!

And I think you need a convertible to tow it!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Keep in mind that you'll need water/electric/sewer hookups - or, for the latter, a dumping station. Those things alone will keep me from being a camper. Along with bugs and dirt. Now a small cabin with plumbing and running water - I'm all over that!! While it's not for me, I've also heard of several folks who have made lots of new friends and learned new techniques while sewing/crafting in campgrounds. I think if you search some threads here, you'll find people who have done it, for at least a while, although usually with their spouse.

We live a few hours from the Adirondak mountains; a dream of mine has always been to rent a cabin and stay there, alone, for several months. Near enough to a town that I could get to a grocery/dr/post office. Having moved from my parents home to the first apartment my DH and I shared, I've never lived alone. DH, a sports and sci-fi nut, ALWAYS has a tv on. So living alone, in solitude, for an extended period is extremely appealing!

Now that pink camper that Ripstitcher posted - that is a thing of beauty!

One thought - could you rent/ borrow/barter for a camper for a couple of weeks to see how you like it before making a purchase? You might not be able to dress it up, but you'd get a feel for it. Around here, a lot of campgrounds have campers that are kind of parked there - they aren't meant to travel - on spots that are fairly large (so not on top of the next one). Maybe find one to stay in for a bit?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
For me the dream is a cabin in the woods. I would rather have all of the comforts of home in a remote location without all of the hassles of camping. Real toilet and hot running water are at the top of the list of comforts along with good lighting and unlimited electric outlets.
Yeah......that sounds absolutely perfect!