Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you sew? >

How often do you sew?

How often do you sew?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Default How often do you sew?

This question may be geared more to those who work full time, but how often a week do you get to sit down and sew or work on a quilt? I love quilting and would love to do so much more, but it just seems everyday when I get home I am too tired to sew. I just can't seem to focus on sewing later in the day. Maybe I am a morning sewer, I don't know. I had hopes of getting a lot more quilts done this year and so far I am still working on the one I started in January.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

If you too tired, I would NOT worry. You need your rest first of all and then there are always the weekends. This is a hobby so it should be enjoyable. When I worked, I had a 4 day shift so that meant a 3 day weekend. I could NOT quilt as much as now that I am retired.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM

I sew when I want, some days after work I'm beat some weekends I just tell DH I will be sewing and can go solid for 2 days! It depends on everything else. Be kind to yourself and don't make deadlines for quilts, it takes all the joy out of it.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:27 PM

We have a business and i do the accounting,I work from home, I try to sew an hour or two in the morning, a hour in the afternoon and a few more in the evening. If hubby is away then I spend more time in my sewing room.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:37 PM

Not as often as I would like. I sew maybe a couple of hours a month.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:38 PM

When I was working sewing was my sanity -- I sewed as often as I could, many times to the detriment of the house and meals. I still don't get to sew as much as I would like -- it's funny how the time fills up with other things now that I'm retired!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

i sew almost every day... And i STILL have a doz or more UFO's.. One would think i should be caught up by now..
Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Hope to quilt most days since i retired last week but need to get my sewing room orgainzed. When I worked, I was too tired when I came home. My sewing time was sunday afternoon after church and a nap. I would go down at 4 to listen to music programs for 3 1/2 hours while I sewed
Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 PM

Karlin, I totally understand your problem. I'm retired now but when I was working I hardly ever had the time to sew. I was a school teacher and even after I got home, cooked dinner, cleaned up, etc., I still had papers to grade and lessons to work on. There's never a minute during the week for a teacher. I did do some sewing on weekends but even then it wasn't much. Teachers do have the summer if they aren't taking some classes or teaching summer school.

So, now that I'm retired I can sew whenever I want..... love it.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 PM

I am disabled, so I am at home. My quilting runs in cycles...some days I find I sew for hours. Other times, I will not touch my quilting for weeks or months at a time. I do find that I am most accurate late morning to late afternoon. Early mornings and evenings are not good times for my quilting. Husband is home on weekends and we like to spend the time together, so unless I have hand projects I can take in the car, I don't quilt on weekends.