Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Disconnected stitch length dial?? Confused. >

Disconnected stitch length dial?? Confused.

Disconnected stitch length dial?? Confused.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Default Disconnected stitch length dial?? Confused.

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out the problem with my new "old" Emdeko sewing machine, but I can't at all. I got a full refund from the seller, who insisted the machine was tested and working. I'm under the impression he simply saw the needle moving up and down and declared is as "fully tested and working".

That said, the problem lies in the stitch length dial on the front... it's not connected to anything internally. It's just rotating without having an impact on any internal mechanisms. I took some photos to show you the part, in case any tech geeks could spot it. If not, I'll have to dish out money and get the thing serviced. I think it's worth it, considering it a Japanese all-metal machine. Anyhow, if anyone could be of help, I'd appreciate it. In my head, either a piece is missing or I'm a moron who can't figure it out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478748[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails _mg_3221.jpg   _mg_3225.jpg   _mg_3227.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 PM

I don't have a direct answer but what you can do is find the parts underneath the machine that make the feed dogs move. Follow those linkages back to the stitch length regulator. That might give you some idea of what's broken or out of place.
Rodney
Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 PM

I noticed a small hole in that part tonight, and I'm starting to think there was once a spring connected to it, and somewhere else... but what sort of spring?... That is the question.

I will do so, Rodney. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM

I have an Emdeko out in the garage. I'll take a look see at it tomorrow. Perhaps it will shed some light on the situation.

Joe
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM

That would be awesome, J!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Power Poster

Some of the dials have a set screw - if the dial froze up due to dried up oil the set screw will no longer hold it - then it will just turn. To fix it you will have to remove the dial and grind out a flat spot on the shaft and then put the dial back on. But if you haven't taken care of the shaft not turning you will still have a problem. Look up the bottom inside the machine to where the dial is and put a couple drops of oil in there. Frozen knobs drive me nutty. Some times they can take a while to get to move.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 AM

Hi Miriam,

Everything is moving fine... The problem is that the dial isn't connected to anything inside the machine. I bought it off eBay, so I have no clue what happened with it prior. In my head, there's either a spring missing, or some sort of other piece, which connects to some other part to change the stitch length. Right now, there's no physical way the knob can affect anything internally, because it's not hooked onto anything. The knob is just there.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:52 AM

GroovyEyeDesigns,

I got out to the garage and took some pics of the stitch length knob inner parts on my machine.
My machine is an Emdeko LT-72 Select N Sew.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478871[/ATTACH]
There is an inner part to the stitch length adjuster. As you turn the knob the inner shaft moves in and out, and a roll pin that sits vertically (top red arrow) pushes the stitch adjusting mechanism to the rear to change the stitch length. The mechanism returns by spring tension.
There is also a roll pin at the front of the outer housing to the stitch length adjuster ( bottom red arrow) that I think works with the inner part or holds it. I'm not sure.

I don't think your machine is exactly like this one, but it is probably similar, and it looks to me like some parts may be missing.

I was right. After taking my machine apart, taking the pics. Working them over so you could see the parts, it dawned on me I should have just work your pics over. So I did.
Here is your second pic lightened up and focused.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]478874[/ATTACH]
You can see hole where a pin used to be. Without the pin there is no way for the outer housing to turn the inner housing. Roll pins can be had at hardware stores. Just be careful when you ( if you do put it in ) put in the pin as you can mess things up by putting it in too far or at an angle.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5647.jpg   emdeko-stitch-length-adjuster-b.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Oh, PS, I can't tell from the pic if your machine takes a roll pin, or a threaded pin. That shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Joe
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Nice job Joe! Very cool