Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing quilts for the seasons >

Changing quilts for the seasons

Changing quilts for the seasons

Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Changing quilts for the seasons

How many of you change out your quilts displayed in your home by the seasons? I try to do it, but storing all the quilts can become a bit if a problem. I don't have a spare bed to spread them on for storage.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

i love quilted items for the different seasons. since i don't have spare room either, i make mine small enough to hang on the front door, the wall, or the refrigerator.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM

I always have quilts draped over the backs of couches and chairs in my house. We like to have couch throw size quilts available to us at all times.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:11 PM

I make quilts for my sister, my daughters, my grandchildren, and my daughter's 3 foster children. I have made them all Spring, summer, fall, and Christmas quilts as well as quilts based on their hobbies. I also make them throws to use in the theatre room or when sitting in a chair reading. I let them worry about where to store the quilts.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM

I change them. The big ones are folded and stacked in a spare closet with guest bedding. The smaller ones are kept in a jumbo plastic tote. I love changing out quilts and other decorations for the seasons/holidays.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 PM

When my grandmother was alive she changed everything including the curtains for spring and summer then fall and winter. She had heavy curtains during the cold months and light sheers during the summer. Loved to see what quilts she put on the beds. She had winter quilts and summer quilts. The summer quilts didn't have batting. She had a few for in between weather. They had flannel for the batting. She was quite a lady and I learned so much from her.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM

I have a spring quilt,, and now I have a fall quilt it still needs binding, I do have my winter quilt with wool batting all done.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
When my grandmother was alive she changed everything including the curtains for spring and summer then fall and winter. She had heavy curtains during the cold months and light sheers during the summer. Loved to see what quilts she put on the beds. She had winter quilts and summer quilts. The summer quilts didn't have batting. She had a few for in between weather. They had flannel for the batting. She was quite a lady and I learned so much from her.
thanks for sharing. I love this idea.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM

I have quilted wall hangings and table runners/toppers for all seasons and holidays for my home and office. Have not gotten around to making quilts for every seasons/holiday. Working on it.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 PM

I, too, change out quilts big and small for the seasons. In the winter right after Thanksgiving I change out some of the quilts again to have someplace the put up/out the Christmas quilts. They come down/off after Jan. 1 and back to the winter stuff. Storage can become a problem. Every inch of extra closet, cupboard, and cabinet space is in use. Finally, went to Walmart and bought several under the bed bins. They're long and narrow so will even hold a king-size quilt with some judicious folding. It's good to get the quilts out, aired and refolded at least once a year, and changing them out for the season is a good way to get this done.