Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on Fabric-HELP! >

Printing on Fabric-HELP!

Printing on Fabric-HELP!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

The difference in colorfastness may also depend on the type of ink used by the printer. Water-based inks, for example, are less colorfast than pigment-based inks. This website is about paper, but does explain some of the differences in inks used by different printers: http://www.printindustry.com/Newslet...etter-135.aspx

I found this website that explains how to create your own fabric sheets. I think it uses the Bubble Jet Set; however, there is a side bar link on how to create your own colorfast setting solution (which mentions that the fabric softener route is not as permanent as others):
http://www.ehow.com/how_6374690_make...jet-print.html
Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Sorry, but this just sounds like way too much work. I just use the photo paper that I can get a Joanns with a 1/2 off coupon. My inkjet HP printer likes it just fine and the printing stays really good for many washings..... like years.
Not really, it just takes a little time. Sometimes a person doesn't want to print on plain white fabric, or they want a certain brand fabric so the effort is worth it. And why pay for bubble jet if you can find a cheaper way. Faster isn't always better. It all depends on persons circumstances.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Well, for years I've used regular fabric or muslin, one of several inkjet HP printers I've owned over the years, ironing after waiting "a bit" and sewing onto a washed/dried quilt. NO other process.

Later - maybe weeks, maybe months - I have washed my labeled quilts (they are ALL washed!) with no lost of the printing on those labels.

Not sure why I have success when others don't. I'm sorry.....maybe I just "hold my mouth right" as my 89 year old Mother would say.

Jan in VA
Same here no problems with HP or Epson printers. I just recently started using the method mentioned above, just to be on the safe side. I made a christmas quilt last year with 12 home printed panels. Washed up great.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

Fabric needs to be prewashed/with detergent- no fabric softener (you are removing any chemicals so the ink is able to penetrate the fibers. Then after Curing (drying completely) you need to Heat set with a dry iron on cotton setting. You also need to be using good quality ink, not refills
Old 06-14-2014, 02:21 AM

The advice I hear most often about printing on fabric is to heat set the print before you wash the quilt. That's what we're asked to do for Quilts of Valor, so I figure it works.

I agree with Peckish - fabric softener coats fabric to make it feel softer and prevent static cling, kind of like hair conditioner puts a slight coating on hair to make hair feel softer, comb easier and reduce static cling.

I've never used muslin for printing on fabric, so can't say whether that is the culprit. All my fabrics are pre-washed. I have used freezer paper successfully, but lately my printer is jamming it. My guess is that it either needs cleaning or something in the paper feed is broken/misaligned.

I'll have to try basting spray to fasten the fabric on printer paper, Who knows? It might work!

PS - I've thought about using a ball point pen to make my labels. That never seems to wash out of anything.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 AM

Oh, Jan! I laughed when I read "hold my mouth right"! My mom used to say the exact same thing to me when I was small and concentrating hard to learn something.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Sorry, but this just sounds like way too much work. I just use the photo paper that I can get a Joanns with a 1/2 off coupon. My inkjet HP printer likes it just fine and the printing stays really good for many washings..... like years.
I have an Epson printer and I've had success with the "printable fabric sheets". I have created fabric squares by printing on kona ready to print fabric which comes on a bolt. I like the ironing soaking steps because in my experience even the inkjet type will fade if untreated. (Printer brands use two different inks, one is more permanent than the other. I forget the specifics but there are several tutorials online about printing on fabric and ink products.)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 AM

I prewash my fabrics before printing to remove sizing and I've not had any problems with the inks fading so far. But ever since my DH comvinced me to replace my old printer with a Kodak, it jams every time I try to run fabric thru it! I've always ironed a good quality muslin to freezer paper, but now I have to use thise expensive "printable fabric sheets." I hate a glaring white label on my quilts, so I coffee dye it before sewing it on.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM

I have always used bubble jet. Here's a recipe that I found for a home made version of bubble jet. I have never used it but would be interested in hearing from those that have. Here's the link to the recipe and process. http://sew-in-stitches.blogspot.com/...-solution.html
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I thought you had to either buy the pre treated fabric sheets or treat the fabric with something like bubble jet set http://www.dharmatrading.com/transfe...set-rinse.html otherwise the ink will not be permanent.
That was my understanding. Ink jet printing is not permanent otherwise. It will fade on paper or fabric.