Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Issue with a purchased kit?? >

Issue with a purchased kit??

Issue with a purchased kit??

Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Default Issue with a purchased kit??

This is my first purchased kit, purchased from an online quilt shop. It came complete with panel and backing fabric. My issue is the panel is, 26"W x 42" L, after squaring up. The backing fabric is only 32" long. Obviously, if I run the backing fabric the width for the length I can utilize the backing fabric as is. As a relative beginner in the quilting world but, with about 50 yrs of sewing experience this just seems wrong.
Do they seriously expect me to use the backing fabric the wrong way? Is this the way kits are done, to save $$??
Yes, I have contacted the company and have had no response as of yet. I will be calling them if I receive no response by this afternoon. I just thought I would gather some information before calling them.
Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Is the backing one way directional print? If not it won't make a difference if it is turned.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

IF the print on the backing is acceptable in any direction, yes, it's possible they have cut it this way purposely.
I agree, for PR purposes, it may have been better to increase the price a tad and cut the fabric the way you are expecting it. But, honestly, in quilting it doesn't matter all that much.

Jan in VA
Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Thank you Jan in Va & onebyone!
It is not a directional print so I would be able to use it. I just knew quilting 'rules' might be different than sewing rules! Even though we all know, there are 'no rules', in quiliting.. lol
Old 06-19-2014, 11:59 AM

This may be one of the reasons you seldom see a kit include backing!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I have never bought a kit but it really doesn't matter which direction the backing goes. With twin and double size quilts, I always run the fabric horizontally to save on fabric cost. Good luck with your kit. Panels are NEVER square !!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

unless the backing fabric is a directional print often people use the width for length- this is often the case with baby quilts- or any small quilt... and, actually- If your fabric was a directional print it would probably be printed to be used that same way- salvage to salvage- top to bottom--- cut length is the width of most prints.