Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you purchased a quilt kit and been disappointed? >

Have you purchased a quilt kit and been disappointed?

Have you purchased a quilt kit and been disappointed?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:31 PM

I purchased a quilt kit....it included the pattern and the fabric for the top, no borders of backing. The reason I made the purchase is that I just loved the display....very colorful. I looked at the fabric on my way home and didn't think much about it. It was like a stack and whack. As I was piecing my pieces they just didn't seem as bright. When I was laying the pieces out I realized that it was so much lighter than the quilt on display. Why did I assume that I would get the same bright fabrics or colors as the display? Why not?
So now when I buy a kit I really look at the included fabric. I know that they all can't have the same fabric as the original....but that is why I bought the kit with fabric included! At least it could have been similar in colors.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

sometimes shops will have different colorways of the kits, some times they run out of a certain fabric and change it..BUT for what ever reason, they should always have the fabric showing in the packaging so that you can SEE for yourself what you are buying!
They should state on the packaging that border fabric is NOT included so that you can go ahead and pick a coordinating fabric while they still have one in stock!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 PM

I noticed that on a Christmas tree wall hanging, but luckily Inoticed it before I purchased. I bought the pattern and then choose the fabrics separately.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM

I bought a kit that said it was quilt top, backing and binding. When I got it the directions were to sew all around the top and backing right sides together, leaving about 4 inches to turn the quilt right side out. Bind and quilt as desired. Bogus !!! The sad part was that it was from a well known quilters catalog !!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Oh, yes, I bought an oriental themed wallhanging kit - one year later, I finally got it, with the main fabric that was supposed to be teal, substituted in red - just ruined it! It was to be a gift for my DS & DIL who love blues and greys, and DO NOT like red!!!! I have not ordered anything else from them since.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:22 AM

I spent $200 on a kit with no layout instructions for cutting. Im afraid I will run out of fabric with my cutting method.
Wish it had layout for cutting all the blocks at once also.
It gives instructions for putting each block togather and the sizes to cut but no layout.
Will not buy another kit.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

I had a kit that they skimped on fabric. I didn't measure first and when I trimmed the selvedges I cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fabric off and then was short fabric and had to order more fabric. The blocks were big. With the extra I ordered I had to cut slightly into selvedges to get the number of blocks they said to sub cut in a row. Other than that I loved the colors and the quality of fabric.