Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet >

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 AM

have you ever been 'less than excited' over the color of fabric you received? What, if anything, did you do about it? I probably won't order any more fabric on line - regardless of the price, to avoid colors that don't match.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

So far I've had good luck. If the shop takes returns, send it back. If not, either sell it here or find a way to use it. Sorry you were disappointed. My LQS is so expensive, I depend on online stores for my fix. But it definitely helps if I've seen the fabric and touched it, before I go shopping online.

I hope you are able to find a way to fix this that leaves you happy.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
So far I've had good luck. If the shop takes returns, send it back. If not, either sell it here or find a way to use it. Sorry you were disappointed. My LQS is so expensive, I depend on online stores for my fix. But it definitely helps if I've seen the fabric and touched it, before I go shopping online.

I hope you are able to find a way to fix this that leaves you happy.
I order a lot of Kona solids from Hancocks of Paducah, both for myself and my quilty friends, so we invested in a shade card.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Power Poster

i've been buying fabrics on line for over 10 years- 90% of my fabrics come from on-line shopping- in that 10 years i've probably had 4 times that i was not happy with what i ordered- the color was not what i thought it was going to be- i just figure -oh well- guess i should have looked at it closer-read the description- everyone's computer monitors are different- and colors show up different- no fault of the shop-
i have my (favorite) on - line shops i go to most often- but i check out new ones every now and then too-
i've bought fabric locally more often that once i got it home and opened it up was unhappy with too- more often than the on-line purchases
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 AM

Never had a problem. Sorry you did. See if you can return it.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 AM

Sorry to hear you had a problem with this, quilt fanatic. I've also had good luck. However, I don't make assumptions that what I'm ordering will be right-on for coordinating or matching some fabric I already have. I have enough trouble with that when I see them for myself. I always seem to be dragging bolts of fabric around in the fabric stores to check how they look with others on another shelf or another part of store.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 AM

In what way were you disappointed? Quality? Colors not what you thought? Print size/repeat not what you wanted? Cut short?

I've made several purchases through the net, both from brick & mortar stores, internet only stores, and QB member sales. While sometimes I've been surprised of the color match, and a few times the quality wasn't *quite* what I am used to, none of the purchases have given me buyers remorse - and all of the fabric I purchased will be used.
Power Poster

If I'm looking for matching fabrics, I order all the fabric from the same line. Monitors are all different, so you probably are not going to get a perfect color representation on your monitor.
Many companies have return policies, check and see.

I've been wondering why people would buy on-line, I would be concerned that the true colors wouldn't be represented on my monitor, or not feeling like I have a good grasp of the scale of the print, or not getting to feel the quality, etc.

But then I checked out an on-line store for the first time last night... and I think I may be in trouble!! lol
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 AM

I am sorry that happened, and yes it has happened to me. If the problems were mine (I didn't read flannel, thought it was cotton) and I could use it I just ate it. If the color wasn't what I thought, I returned it. fabric.com is great for returns. But if it isn't worth the postage I just use it in something. There are always grocery bags to be made! LOL!

Don't let it stop you from online buying though. There are some great fabrics out there just waiting to be adopted!