Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet >

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
I've been wondering why people would buy on-line, I would be concerned that the true colors wouldn't be represented on my monitor, or not feeling like I have a good grasp of the scale of the print, or not getting to feel the quality, etc.

But then I checked out an on-line store for the first time last night... and I think I may be in trouble!! lol
I live in a small town and while there is one lqs here, I am not impressed with it or the people at all. I wasn't drawn to a lot of the fabrics because there isn't a lot to select from. The inside is dark with dim lighting. I am 45mins to an hour away from the next quilt shop. It will be cheaper for me to order online with gas prices the way they are. I love to shop online.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 AM

Buying within collections helps guarantee coordinating colors. Connecting Threads also has a screen where you can "drop fabrics" next to each other and see if they coordinate.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Yes, I have, just recently I boght some batik that was supposed to be an aqua shade but when it got here it was unmistakably GREEN. I needed this to finish a quilt that I am on a deadline to complete, so I was a bit irritated, but, that's kind of the nature of buying online. Sometimes the pictures are a little off. The great many deals and special finds I have found online have far outwayed the mishaps.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 AM

If I absolutely don't like it and can return it then I do. If it's OK but just not for the project I had in mind and the price was right then I add it to stash and match it up with others some other time :-)
Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 AM

Living 300 miles away from a quilting shop, I HAVE to rely on on-line shopping. I often send by mail (the one with a postage stamp!) to the quilt shop a swatch of the fabric I need to add to. Sometimes I also add my quilt design. I give my specifications and they then decide for me on the shade that goes well with my swatch. 100% satisfied!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 AM

I order often online. Are we allowed to say? I order from fabric.com and connectingthreads.com

I find that connectingthreads.com has really good prices
Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 AM

I shop online all the time and was VERY disappointed with only one purchase I made. The colors were off, but I was trying to coordinate with a project that was already underway.

I called the store and was immediately satisfied. In fact I was on the phone so long with the person that we exchanged personal stories! The store was Fabric Depot and their customer service is above and beyond.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I guess I'm lucky. I have always had good luck with online shopping.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

This is the number one deterent for me to ordering online. Not that it has stopped me from buying online. I have returned items and payed for restocking. Can you repurpose the fabric?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
If I'm looking for matching fabrics, I order all the fabric from the same line.
I find this is the best way to get a good match.

Had a few that didn't quite match (not from the same line) but I liked the fabric so I just added them to the stash.