going to Anchorage

Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 AM

Default going to Anchorage

We are planning a trip to Anchorage later this month. Have researched activities on the internet, but I'd welcome advice from anyone who has visited or lives there. What to do, what to avoid, where to eat, etc. Oh yes, I've researched quilt shops, too. Any thoughts about those?
Thanks so much.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by fayeberry View Post
We are planning a trip to Anchorage later this month. Have researched activities on the internet, but I'd welcome advice from anyone who has visited or lives there. What to do, what to avoid, where to eat, etc. Oh yes, I've researched quilt shops, too. Any thoughts about those?
Thanks so much.
Oh Please, Oh Please take me with you. I live in NC so you know what summer is like. We went on a cruise to AK a few years ago in Aug. It was delightful. I didn't want to come home. And when we walked out of the airport at RDU we thought we'd just pass out
Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 AM

You should check out the Native Heritage Center, it's toward the edge of town on N. Muldoon Rd. Then there is the downtown museum near A St. between 6th and 7th. There's a trolley ride that goes around town and gives an informative tour, downtown market on Saturdays on 3rd., the Alaska zoo on O'Malley (you can see the wolf pups that were rescued earlier this summer by the fireman fighting a major fire on the Kenai peninsula), or a trip out of town to Portage Glacier, you can take a boat ride out to the face of the glacier and watch it calve. Downtown Anchorage has lots of places to eat, but 3 of my favorite are The Bridge, down near the railroad. It spans a creek and you can enjoy good food and watch the fisherman fishing in downtown. Humpy's on 6th is good and The Snow Goose on 3rd are also great places to eat.
Mostly my best advice is to dress in layers, polar fleece and raincoat, and don't let the weather deter you from enjoying what's out there.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Shopping is quite interesting there....some of the merchandise stares back at you.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Lucky, that's my hometown. I wish I could go back.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Visit the Quilt Tree!! (341 E Benson Blvd, # 5) It's a beautiful fabric store! If you're there on a Saturday, it's worth it to wander through Anchorage Market. It's on 3rd, just west of C street. Have fun! Dress in layers, and have a decent rain jacket.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone. Mike's girl - you are an awful long way from home....must really love Mike!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:59 AM

We lived in Anchorage for 14 yrs. and we LOVED it. I wasn't doing much quilting at that time but I certainly was keeping an eye out for MOOSE!! We loved having them bed down in our back and front yard any time of year. Have a great trip and enjoy yourself. It's a beautiful part of God's earth!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Thank you - can't wait to see the moose and hoping hard to see bears!
Old 07-05-2014, 04:18 AM

Ahhhh Alaska! Lived there for 25 years! Please do all the stuff that has been recommended! Especially the Saturday market! Do dress in layers and have decent rain gear! Hopefully you will have amazing weather and don't forget to enjoy the beauty of the mountain ranges! I miss the breath taking views! Oh, don't forget the Cutters for the mosquitoes!! ������