Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about plain fabric quilting >

Question about plain fabric quilting

Question about plain fabric quilting

Old 07-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Question about plain fabric quilting

Has anyone ever made a quilt with plain fabric on each side and made the color of the tread and pattern of quilting the completed quilt? In other words, plain white on the front with blue thread and very fancy long arm quilting for the design. The back with another color plain fabric and the bobbin color such that it makes the pattern on the back? Maybe with a matching color as an outer border and binding that complements each side.

I saw some real creative long arm quilting on here and wondered if the above has been done. :-)
Old 07-03-2014, 10:37 AM

I've never done that but it sounds like a great way to show off FMQ (if you can get the tensions right).
Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM

It's called whole cloth quilting, and it's been around for a long time, done by hand or by machine. If you search the internet you are bound to find some extraordinary examples.

Janet
Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM

There are millions of them out there, Google pics of whole cloth quilts. So are just amazing.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Wow.... you are so right! Found lots of them. Didn't see any that were what I was asking about though. Lots of beautiful ones. Was thinking something like blue or red or whatever thread throughout. Maybe it would be too much color?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-03-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM

It's your quilt; you can do anything you want to. Let your art instinct kick in.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM

Go for it honey--and please show us the results. Interesting idea.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM

No art instinct here. You ALL have more in you than I can even dream of doing and I see some awesome ones up here that I just shake my head at and enjoy. :-)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 PM

There are whole cloth quilts here in our quilt gallery.

I think you might want your thread and bobbin color to be the same color? Even quite good quilters struggle with polkadots when the bobbin is a different color. So thread red, quilt white on one side & bright blue the other, maybe?

Or orange thread, yellow one side, lime the other?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by marcycn View Post
No art instinct here. You ALL have more in you than I can even dream of doing and I see some awesome ones up here that I just shake my head at and enjoy. :-)
If you had no art instinct, you would not have asked the original question. Try what you are talking about on a small project and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. froggyintexas