Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rapid Fire Hunter Star Question >

Rapid Fire Hunter Star Question

Rapid Fire Hunter Star Question

Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM

Default Rapid Fire Hunter Star Question

I am going to a retreat in the fall and the class that I am taking is for the Rapid Fire Hunter Star. I purchased the smaller ruler at a Shop Hop in February and have not used it yet. The pattern that we are going to make calls for the large ruler. The small ruler makes blocks 5 -6 - 7 and 8". The large ruler makes 7 - 8 - 9- and 10" blocks. If I were to make all of my blocks 8" is there any reason I shouldn't be able to use the ruler I have? I hate to pay $20+ for a ruler when I could use the one I have. Has anyone else used this (or these) rulers. Should I go ahead and purchase the larger ruler?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

If you only plan on making 8" blocks, I wouldn't buy another ruler!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 AM

Absolutely not, you are good to go with the ruler you have. I've made two Hunter Star quilts and love them both. I love the method, I altered it a bit, I would make them a smiggin larger and trim them down so each section came out perfect. Good luck in your class, I hope you will love your quilt as much as I do.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM

I agree--why buy the bigger one? Lucky you--your class is coming up soon! Have fun and don't forget to post pics for us to see!
I have the bigger one and am waiting(not very patiently) for our guild to schedule a Rapid Fire Hunter Star class! They think it will be in February. I have all my fabrics and have watched Deb do her demo 2 yrs. in a row at Paducah. But my "scary" is that I want each of the diamonds to be a different colored jewel batik. So I'm(not so patiently) waiting for one-on-one help in a class.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I took a class and bought both sizes of the ruler. We could choose what size to make in the same class so you shouldn't have any problems following if everyone is using the bigger one. It didn't make any difference. The bigger one was easier for me as a first timer and I wanted big blocks. I have since bought the Go Hunter Start die and only use that size now. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-17-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the advice and I am going to use the ruler I have.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 PM

I have made the Rapid Fire Hunter Star quilt and I loved making it. All of Deb Tucker's tools are great.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Just be prepared that your quilt is going to look slightly different from the others in the class. The star comes out one size with the small ruler, and a larger size with the large ruler. Other than that, there is absolutely no reason you can't use yours.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:20 PM

I am so envious!!!! I want that ruler so bad but the only place that stocks Deb's rulers here in the UK is out of stock and doesn't know when she will be getting them again!

I wish I could get my hands on that ruler!!!!!

Have a wonderful time at your retreat! Lucky you!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM

donna marie, what do you mean by you made your blocks a little bigger. you mean the outside edges a little longer and bigger? I have the ruler, and just need to get going on it. keep finishing, or making something different.