Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How in the world do I clean this? >

How in the world do I clean this?

How in the world do I clean this?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Default How in the world do I clean this?

The Rocketeer I bought a couple weeks ago came with a cabinet. I've managed to rid the machine itself of the tobacco scent through cleaning and airing but how in the world do I get the smell off the cabinet?!? I am really at a loss ... I've tried cleaning the cabinet but it's like the smell is embedded. Tomorrow, the last resort is to put it out in the backyard to air for a while but if that doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
I've tried cleaning the cabinet but it's like the smell is embedded. Tomorrow, the last resort is to put it out in the backyard to air for a while but if that doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions?
Baking soda and charcoal are pretty good at absorbing odour. Also vanilla fridge cleaner and vinegar. The former two just need to sit inside it in a little dish or jar lid, the latter just apply with a cloth. Tobacco smell has a habit of sticking around though. Ever try and get it out of a car? Lingers for years or forever if you don't give it a lot of air. You might even be better off rubbing down the cabinet and re-varnishing.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 AM

Have you tried Murphy's Oil Soap? It's a good cleaner for furniture.

Joe
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 AM

Windex. Spray and wipe. Don't panic when a bunch of brown gunk comes off on your cleaning cloth, it is nicotine residue. Once it is removed the smell will also be gone.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Windex. Spray and wipe. Don't panic when a bunch of brown gunk comes off on your cleaning cloth, it is nicotine residue. Once it is removed the smell will also be gone.
Ooh, best hint yet. You can wipe off the source of the stench!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 AM

Don't use Windex or similar cleaners on the old black japanned machines. You stand a good chance of silvering the decals if you do. Rocketeers are painted. You're probably fine there.
Rodney
Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 AM

I used vinegar in water and that really helped. Mine was a newer particle board cabinet. I did refinish it, but still needed to get the stink out.

It's now the cabinet my main machine sits on. BTW - the machine that came with the cabinet never got 100% smell free. It was fine until it got heated up in use, then I could just get a hint of smoke from it. Ended up giving it to someone that just needed a machine for odd patching jobs, so the smell wasn't a problem for them. It was a model just a bit later than the 500 is. One of the first open arm Singers.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 AM

I just bought a folding wood door that had been sitting on a back porch of 2 smokers only paid 2.00 for it good condition and perfect fit for what I need it for but yea the smoke smell I wipe it down with white vinegar as best I could then took it outside and saturated it with orange glo and left it soak over night http://www.orangeglo.com/ that did the trick and a nice orange smell I got mine at home depot you don't have to order online

Last edited by mandyrose; 07-23-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Grandmother's wonderful machine and formica cabinet were the nastiest things! I used my do-it-yourself Windex equivalent recipe (one c. water, one c. no suds ammonia, one c. rubbing alcohol) to clean both of them. Between soft rags and cotton balls, the machine and cabinet are clean and in my sewing room - in the house.

Please note that the odor of my concoction dissipates way faster than smoke, etc. Outside or well ventilated are good choices for using it, though.

;-) Pat
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 AM

Yesterday, I went and got some Simple Green and tried it on the back of the cabinet. This is after I'd scrubbed a decent area with a toothbrush and Murphy's Oil Soap. I was amazed and disgusted by what came off the back of that cabinet with a little SG! Ugh! So after I found that there were no adverse effects, I started using the SG on the cabinet to clean it. It's like it's stripping the tobacco tar off the cabinet, but it's not hurting the wood or finish at all. It's really disgusting how much tar there is on this poor cabinet. Once I have it all cleaned, I'll polish it up nicely. But it might take me a week to get it cleaned up; what a mess!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-25-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: remove controversial/offensive/negativity