Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Finally got to clean up the veggie plot and look what I found!

Blog Entries
    I spent the day yesterday weeding all the wild grass & weeds that I haven't been able to get to due to all the rain. The corn and okra have been really hard to deal with so far...plant..too much rain...replant....too cold....replant.., so it looks terrible..all different sizes. It will work out better when it comes in at different times though, so thats good.

But....I found some squash already and bell pepper...and I even have little tomatoes!! So...its coming right along this year. Sorry Slim (my scarecrow) looks so bad..I didn't give him a new shirt this year...he looks so bad..he should scare something!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice garden!
    Can I come play??

Blog Entries
    here are some more

My fav garden tool...a push plow..I especially love it when DH is the one pushing!!
    Name:  Attachment-2387.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  79.2 KB

me & my best "helper"..Puddy
    Name:  Attachment-2799.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  64.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Nice garden!
    Can I come play??
    Sure Terri...come on and come quick before it needs more work!!! You are sore enough already!!..and so am I!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

That's a really nice helper you have there! :)

Nice looking garden our isn't even in yet with this cold weather and we are normally in by Mothers day

Beautiful garden. I gave up the veggie gardening when the back went but I miss it. I have a couple of volunteer tomato plants and a few okra that someone gave me. I have to transplant them this week, we've had so much rain since Saturday that I'm not so afraid of them burning out now.

I'll be glad to buy some of that summer squash and a pepper to cook with it! mouth is watering as I type mmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Nice garden!
    Can I come play??
    Sure Terri...come on and come quick before it needs more work!!! You are sore enough already!!..and so am I!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:
    You know....growing up we had a small garden that was about 1/2 acre. yes, that was small....it was down sized from the acre that dad used to plant lol
    I could work in that all day, sore or not, and was just as happy as could be. Wouldn't complain about the soreness.
    Now, my body aches and creaks like an old wooden house.
    I'll have my gardens again. I sure do miss them!

Very nice garden that is going to be beautiful and productive Sandpat. We are so late with ours here in SE GA. My DH,had foot surgery and now our oldest DD is haveing Heart problems. We have to go to FL. The 26th she is having a test done and we need to be there. SOOOOOOOOO, when that is done and we come back He is going to rent a tractor to disc everything up in a hurry and get what we can planted. I believe we still can have a wonderful productive garden like yours is going to be. YOu thought it was going to be drowned, Nature gives us a lot of surprises. :D
    BillsBonBon

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Wish I had one.

I just put the last of mine in...hoping for the best...potatoes and peas are doing fine :D I will take some pictures soon
    :wink:

Blog Entries
    Wow - your plants are huge already!!! :D Just started yesterday putting in some here. I think we're done with the night freezes now.
    We splurged and bought one big tomato plant, just so we could have homegrown just a bit sooner, while we wait for the rest! I'll have some summer squash and lots of green pepper plants too - love them!
    Love your pictures!!! I am sooo glad Spring is finally here!!! I HATE winter and the cold!!

Gosh that garden looks nice. I can just smell the sweet scent of compost. Your going to be making squash until you are sick of it! Just kidding. But, it sure does look like it is going to give you bushels of squash this year. :D I love hollowing them out and baking stuffing or corned beef hash in them. Yum! Are you going to have a roadside stand? I will buy some too!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for looking everyone

No...no roadside stands here..we just eat what we can, give away what we can't...and stuff into unlocked unsuspecting cars what folks won't take :wink:

With the few days of sunshine this week, it has really taken off...we've had soooo much rain...its been hard to get everything to come up. I always look forward to the beginning and watching it all grow.

Oh, your garden looks wonderful! We've had frost several nights lately, Monday's was quite heavy. Everything had to be covered. That's what we get for putting it in before Memorial Day! The only thing damaged was a bit of my basil; enough survived that I'm not replanting anything.

Re the bad back - when I was at the garden store getting plants & seeds, I bought a gardening stool thingy. It is rectangular, the seat can be raised or lowered as needed. Not fancy, but hopefully will make picking beans a little easier! That's a long ways off. I've got it hidden; I'm giving it to DH for Father's Day.

Blog Entries
    Peaceandjoy, that gardening stool sounds good! I was out all day today weeding my flowers, took an Aleive beforehand, probably won't be able to move when it wears off! lol!!! I just sit on the ground, so the stool sounds great!

Blog Entries
    I have this thingie on wheels called a "Scoot n Do"...it is a rolling stool and has a little tray in the front with places to put all your tools and a tray to hold little plants & seeds, etc. and even a place for your drinkie poo. I love it, but sometimes it doesn't work as well in the garden as I can actually squat down lower than it puts me...I didn't say I could get back up...but I can squat down lower.. :roll:

Have fun with your new stoolie Peaceandjoy...or make sure your DH does!

The garden looks great :D I do love looking at them all...but I am definitely NOT a gardener. My sisters got the gardening gene from Mom, but I got the anti-gardening gene from Dad instead! lol My Dad's grandfather left the Orkney Islands in Scotland to get away from the farm - Dad said when he went over there years ago, they were still wondering why he left! LOL (Did I mention, Dad just turned 92?...they've been wondering for a LONG time!)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What a lovely and neat clean place you have!! I LOVE neat and clean places. I really love that cute little pasture behind you in the second reply. Does a 4 legged anything get to stay in there? If not, I have some for sale--or will have shortly that would enjoy living under your care. :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    No...no roadside stands here..we just eat what we can, give away what we can't...and stuff into unlocked unsuspecting cars what folks won't take :wink:
    Beautiful spot you got there, Patti! This sounds like round here - it's courgettes (zucchini) mostly - everywhere you go, people are trying to give you great carrier bags full - you say no thanks I've got my own! Was great when we had the pigs though - the neigbour's used to bring wheel barrow loads round for them! :wink:

K x

What a lovely garden!!

I love your garden and the little baby squash, and the pepper plants are so green!

I truly love your push plow!

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    zyxquilts...that is a long time to wonder...good for your Dad! Its ok if you don't like to garden...I always say "thats why they make chocolate AND vanilla!"..wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things?? :roll:

K...I love it when corn comes in, all the neighbors clean up their stalks and haul it to us for the cows.

Karla, that "cute little pasture " behind is actually the alley to move cows from one field into the alley and chute to work them..although I don't ever let them in otherwise...I hate mud. Those Minis would be cute in there though wouldn't they..maybe Mazie??

Thanks sewjoyce and Ninnie!

I am hoping to start a vegetable garden in my back yard next summer. Right now I am too busy with the inside of the house and getting things in order there. At the end of the summer I need to put an eaves trough on the eave of the house to collect water. (I think that is what I need LOL)

Hopefully next year I'll be able to start my vegetable garden. I am hoping to get a little herb garden going this year though if all goes well. Once Mum is moved in downstairs in my basement apartment this Monday and I help her get settled in, I will try to get my little herb garden started.

Looks like your garden is on the way to a great start this season!!

Looks very yummy to me! Let me know if you need my address for any extras! Black thumbs here. I can kill silk plants. :roll: