Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My veggie plot - summer is coming!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hello all,

I thought you might like to see the latest work I've done in my veg garden. Today I planted out my tomatoes (larger ones for cooking and salads and cherry toms for the kids to graze on!) and aubergines (eggplants in the US).

The roof tiles are an idea used a lot around here by the locals - we almost certainly won't have anymore frost but they just give the young plants a bit of protection for the first week or two in the big, wide world! And, they look cute, I think! :D

K x

An aubergine plant in his own little house!
    Name:  Attachment-30993.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  63.3 KB

A cherry tomato plant - most of these don't make the kitchen, the kids eat them like sweeties!
    Name:  Attachment-31008.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  85.4 KB

Tomatoes and aubergines - still room for bell peppers, they'll go out in a weeks or so - still filling their pots!
    Name:  Attachment-35058.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  74.0 KB

I am jealous, My DH has been layed up with foot surgery and is behind by a month on our garden. But in another week he will be fine and will be getting tomatoes,peas,limas,squash,cucumbers and I don't know what all. Can't hardly stand store bought tomatoes and cucumbers. I will post pictures as soon as he gets it going. For most of my life we had a winter garden in south Florida. Now in Georgia it is a summer one. :D :D Don't matter as long as I have one.
    BillsBonBon

Banned
    WOW! Nice garden

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to here about your DH! How rustrating for him (and you!) I agree with you about store bought stuff - just the smell of the tomato plants makes me drool - tomatoes you buy just don't have the same smell OR taste!

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Bev - wasn't ignoring you, think we were posting at the same time!

K x

Izy
    I was only thinking just this afternoon how your veggie garden was coming on K, looking very healthy!! :D I love your little pansies that are in the picture, I presume they just seeded off themselves, so cute :D

My mom and I are going to be spending time in her garden this weekend for mothers day! We call it "playing in the dirt". She has six raised garden boxes and grows all types of stuff. I live in an apartment so I grow tomatoes in big pots. They are soooo yummy, but last year the darn squirrels ate them all!!!!!!!!! GRRRR!!! But I don't have the heart to scare off, or hurt the cute little guys. I guess they needed the tomatoes more than me.

My has blueberry bushes and they do great!!! I heard you can grow them in big pots too, so I think I will try that this year out on my deck!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    I was only thinking just this afternoon how your veggie garden was coming on K, looking very healthy!! :D I love your little pansies that are in the picture, I presume they just seeded off themselves, so cute :D
    Yup they did - in fact they're a bit of a weed, along with the chives, borage and calendula that all seed themselves in the paths, but I haven't got the heart to yank 'em up if they're not in the way! ALthough today I was weeding the strawberry bed and nearly breaking my neck trying not to tread on the borage in the path!

I've weeded a long border along the edge and I'm going to sow those seed you sent along there - probably get to it tomorrow!

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leona07
    My mom and I are going to be spending time in her garden this weekend for mothers day! We call it "playing in the dirt". She has six raised garden boxes and grows all types of stuff. I live in an apartment so I grow tomatoes in big pots. They are soooo yummy, but last year the darn squirrels ate them all!!!!!!!!! GRRRR!!! But I don't have the heart to scare off, or hurt the cute little guys. I guess they needed the tomatoes more than me.

My has blueberry bushes and they do great!!! I heard you can grow them in big pots too, so I think I will try that this year out on my deck!!
    I've heard blueberries do well in pots - people who don't have acidic enough soil grow them that way! You can also grow 'tumbler' tomatoes in hanging baskets - might foil the squirrels!

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    PS I also planted 8 rows of new potatoes at the weekend but haven't posted a pic - don't think little humps of soil are that interesting to anyone but me who got the back ache creating them!

K x

Izy
    We had a visitor yesterday offer to lend me a strimmer to get rid of the 'weeds on one of the slopes in front of the villa..after giving him 'daggers' I said that was my 'nature' garden and I had no intention of getting rid of them, there are some beautiful 'weeds' in there, and the colour is amazing, so I just leave it alone :D :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    You're absolutely right Izy - I have to make myself NOT be neat and let things grow where they will - nature always choses a better spot for a plant than I can! I even leave some nettles to grow because they're good to cut for the compost! However, I HATE bind weed and don't like to spray so just keep digging it up but of course it keeps coming back! The worst is when I don't notice some for a bit and it dares to FLOWER!!! Grrrr!

K x

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    You're absolutely right Izy - I have to make myself NOT be neat and let things grow where they will - nature always choses a better spot for a plant than I can! I even leave some nettles to grow because they're good to cut for the compost! However, I HATE bind weed and don't like to spray so just keep digging it up but of course it keeps coming back! The worst is when I don't notice some for a bit and it dares to FLOWER!!! Grrrr!

K x
    K you are so right about nature chosing the best place for each plant!!

We have beautiful variety of bindweed which is an annual that is not so vigourous and so pretty, here's a picture, it creeps along the ground and is the deepest pinky lilac, plus we get white tinged with pink :D

'weed' growing through plant
    Name:  Attachment-33038.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  56.2 KB

Bindweed is up here in St. Louis! Have a bunch to pull! The dog brings it in on his bushy tail! :?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the purple 'morning glory' growing wild in Sardinia as well - yes it's pretty but it still looks like bindweed to me! We had the pigs on the ground where the veggie plot now is - I thought they'd cleared everything but apparently NOT the bindweed; horrid stuff! Sorry, it IS pretty in your pic Izy, just irrational prejudice on my part!

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Bindweed is up here in St. Louis! Have a bunch to pull! The dog brings it in on his bushy tail! :?
    Hey, maybe I could train my Dougal Dog to dig it up? Trouble is, he'd dig EVERYTHING up! :D

K x

Izy
    I've seen the purple 'morning glory' growing wild in Sardinia as well - yes it's pretty but it still looks like bindweed to me! We had the pigs on the ground where the veggie plot now is - I thought they'd cleared everything but apparently NOT the bindweed; horrid stuff! Sorry, it IS pretty in your pic Izy, just irrational prejudice on my part!

K x
    Lol, I USED to share your opinion when I lived in the UK, it really was a 'bind' to get rid of it and it choked out everything it grew through, the other worst weed top spot went to the Victorian Knotweed that cracks concrete!! Thank God not got any of that here!! :shock:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Not here either thank goodness! It was all over County Kerry when I lived there briefly. The other nightmare here is that tall thistly type thing with tiny yellow flowers - I think it's called nipplewort but I might have made that up!

K x

I use the purple flowered chives a lot in my cooking...big garden, I will plant more of mine this weekend :D

Izy
    Well there are several 'huge' scottish looking thirstles that grow to about 4/5' tall any boy are they vicious!! As soon as I see them, they get yanked :lol:

You can also grow 'tumbler' tomatoes in hanging baskets - might foil the squirrels!

K x
    Are those the ones that hang upside-down?? I was thinking of doing that!!! My mom's neighbor did and she got a TON of tomatoes. I think I will try it, we'll see. I think my crazy squirrels will look at it as a challenge :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leona07
    You can also grow 'tumbler' tomatoes in hanging baskets - might foil the squirrels!

K x
    Are those the ones that hang upside-down?? I was thinking of doing that!!! My mom's neighbor did and she got a TON of tomatoes. I think I will try it, we'll see. I think my crazy squirrels will look at it as a challenge :lol:
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p86859/1.html

Here they are!

K x

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Garden! Makes my mouth water :D :D :D

That is going to be one great garden. Keep you busy and fed all summer.

Nice! I haven't had a veggie garden in years! I sure do miss that!!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast