Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My veggie plot - summer is coming! >

My veggie plot - summer is coming!

My veggie plot - summer is coming!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
You can also grow 'tumbler' tomatoes in hanging baskets - might foil the squirrels!

K x
Are those the ones that hang upside-down?? I was thinking of doing that!!! My mom's neighbor did and she got a TON of tomatoes. I think I will try it, we'll see. I think my crazy squirrels will look at it as a challenge :lol:
Old 05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leona07
Originally Posted by k3n
You can also grow 'tumbler' tomatoes in hanging baskets - might foil the squirrels!

K x
Are those the ones that hang upside-down?? I was thinking of doing that!!! My mom's neighbor did and she got a TON of tomatoes. I think I will try it, we'll see. I think my crazy squirrels will look at it as a challenge :lol:
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p86859/1.html

Here they are!

K x
Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful Garden! Makes my mouth water :D :D :D
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

That is going to be one great garden. Keep you busy and fed all summer.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Nice! I haven't had a veggie garden in years! I sure do miss that!!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by leona07
Originally Posted by k3n

K x
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p86859/1.html

Here they are!

K x
Thank You!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

I love the little houses! Everything looks so neat. You must weed every few days, to keep it like that. Makes me think of gnome homes :wink:
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I love the little houses! Everything looks so neat. You must weed every few days, to keep it like that. Makes me think of gnome homes :wink:
You've just reminded me of the lizard ladders - must go and put them in! I don't know if you noticed the half plastic bottles sunk in the soil, this so I can water direct to the roots, well the first year I did this I found a dead lizard in one, poor little thing had fallen in and couldn't climb out. So now I rest a piece of stick in each one so any fallers can climb out again! The kids are off today - sounds like a job for them!

K x
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 AM

What a lovely veg garden you have, I love the roof tiles, yes, they do look cute!

Living in a flat I don't have a garden, but I have commandeered some space at my Mom and Dad's house in their garden, and have planted Carrots, Beetroot, Pickling Onions and normal size onions. They are all starting to peek out the ground now, am so excited! My plan is to save money on Christmas gifts this year by pickling the onions and the beetroot, making onion marmalade with the normal size onions, then gooness knows what with the carrots, freeze them, or make carrot cake and freeze that I think. PLenty to give away to people in the winter.

Isn't it exciting growing things?!?!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Yes it really is! Every time a seed comes up, it's like a little miracle! I sowed a long row of beetroot yesterday - my beds are 20' long and 4' wide (so I never have to walk on them!) A friend of mine had a glut of beetroot last year and made chutney which was gorgeous! She gave me a couple of jars and I could eat it straight from the jar with a spoon! So I'm going to get her recipe!

Today, I'm going to sow my courgette, butternut squash, pumpkin and sweetcorn in pots. I'm a bit late with it but better late than never, and we usually have a long, sunny autumn here so things ripen well late in the year.

For your carrots, you could make soup - delicious with coriander! I struggle to grow that for leaves, it just bolts even in the shade!

K x