Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Comforter: A Lesson in Thread >

Old Comforter: A Lesson in Thread

Old Comforter: A Lesson in Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Default Old Comforter: A Lesson in Thread

Was so frustrated today while preparing a piece for a commissioned order that took me far longer than I imagined, but what a great lesson it was for me as there were 3 different threads all used in the same item that was from the 1960's. It was quilted & seamed on 3 edges of the comforter with 100% cotton thread. On the top edge, it looks like perhaps it may have originally had some kind of opening (I think it might have originally been a duvet cover that someone shoved batting in & quilted) and on the inside folded edge monofilament thread was used. On the outside top, it was hand stitched with what seems to be either a poly or poly-cotton blend based on texture and the fact that the color didn't fade.

The poly/poly-cotton thread held up the best by far. It was in good condition still. The only "problem" I saw was that the rest of the "quilt" had sun faded, but the thread maintained it's original color. The rest of the comforter also had become a bit worn from the wash (she said they did wash and dry it on warm), but not the one thread up at the top.

The cotton thread had worn and faded in a manner consistent with the rest of the comforter. Some of the stitches had snapped & other had started to fray.

The mono thread was the worst of them all. It had separated into 18 different plies and just sat inside the comforter. Who knows whether more of it may have been used originally on the top side of the comforter and fallen away over time?

With all the other issues I have with mono thread, this has definitely convinced me to steer clear of it ... and I'm keeping a bit of the frayed thread in my sewing basket lest anyone suggest I use it for anything other than art quilts. (My mom is great at giving me all sorts of "helpful" suggestions in spite of the fact that at the height of her sewing days, the most she ever did was mend a couple socks.)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 PM

So, just to clarify, are you saying this monofilament thread is from the 1960s and is a terrible product because it frayed so much? Did they even HAVE mono back then? How likely is it that that monofilament is the same that they sell now?

I'm not a big fan of monofilament either, but my issues don't stem from the quality of the product, but rather from ease of use, which I'm pretty sure is more user error than product defect. Meaning, I'm a doorknob and never remember to loosen the tension.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Power Poster

Mono thread has come a long ways since the 60's! Back then it was like fishing line... Stiff & pokey and over time wore out, split, melted if laundered.... There are some very good monofilament threads on the market now, soft, strong, pliable, holds up to wear & tear... The one from Superior Threads is my favorite so far for ease of use and durability. I quilted one of my son's quilts with it 9 years ago and that quilt has been (used &abused!) The quilt has needed some repairs the quilting thread has held up fine
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Yes, monofilament was just like fishing line and came on a big cone. I gave it away to someone who wanted to use it on her serger. I was just delighted to have gotten rid of it.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Agree with Peckesh and Ckcowl. Monofiliment has advanced by leaps and bounds in just the past 10 years let alone how far it has come since the 60's. It used to be nylon and like fishing line. but now, both Superior and Filtec (Makers of glide) have a beautiful monofiliment made of polyester. It is soft and fine as a human hair, low gloss and is the best for SITD around applique. I would not use it to quilt an entire quilt but for ditch work around applique it is a wonderful choice.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 AM

I love mono thread for quilting. It is wonderful for quilt tops that are multi-colors. I have never had a problem on either of my machines. Both are Brothers. I don't know the mono thread brand. I bought a large spool from a thread booth at the sewing show. I use regular sewing thread in the bobbin to match the color of the backing.