Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls >

Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls

Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls

Old 07-26-2014, 01:53 AM

Default Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls

I've had an ongoing hand embroidery project for about 10-12 yrs - little boys with a fishing theme. I had 2 sets of 12 but cut one wrong and another had a bad run in it so I will have 17-22. I just finished the 17th one. I'm hoping I can come up with something that will give me a full size quilt - these are 9 inch blocks so would probably need an alternate block and/or sashing/cornerstones added. I'm drawing a blank on alternate blocks - don't want something too complicated or that will make the embroidery seem to disappear. I've debated string quilt blocks on the diagonal - maybe 4 small ones that make a 9" block sewn into a diamond pattern...a 16 patch with just squares sewn together, 4 small rail fences sewn together...maybe making the embroidery squares the centers for an irish chain or double irish chain with white in the center chain...

any ideas? I did some little girls before starting this one and since I had no idaes i used a 30s print and sashed and did a border with the same print- needless to say it's a small quilt! cute but small. this has been my only experience with using embroidery blocks til these.

thanks for any advice!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

i did a similar quilt with some vintage embroidered blocks. the blocks were animals, so i was searching for a toile type fabric to go with it. i felt the toile would be a light enough background but have a readable print to it. i also snowballed the embroidered blocks to give it more interest. here are pictures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485015[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails full-front.jpg   quilting-closeup-frog-block.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I think string blocks would be too busy, they would over power your embroidered blocks. Something plain, a small tone on tone print or solid to frame your work would be better. Or,you could frame the embroidered blocks (maybe turn them into snowball blocks)then put 9-patch blocks between them. Pinwheel blocks would also work well some other blocks that set off/frame nicely are- monkey wrench, Jacob's ladder, split rail... Show us pictures of your blocks and we can probably come up with more suggestions. (And, we just love looking!)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:57 AM

My concern (not having seen the blocks) is that the string blocks might be too busy for what I am assuming is delicate embroidery blocks. Though it may work. You might have to make one and try it out between some of the blocks to see if you like it.

Depending on the look that you are going for, here are three blocks that you could also consider (I routed around in EQ). I think after all the work you have done on the blocks that they should be the star and stand out. These blocks might frame the embroidery and accentuate them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485017[/ATTACH]

Can you post a picture of a few?? I can not wait to see what you decide!!
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 AM

Oh - QuiltnNan - I love your quilt!! That would be a great solution as well.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Oh - QuiltnNan - I love your quilt!! That would be a great solution as well.
thank you, eparys
Old 07-26-2014, 04:10 AM

There is some fantastic fabric with fishing flies out there that would look really cute with alternate blocks. I think it's a moda fabric.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I like to snowball the embroidery blocks by adding the corner triangles as in QuiltnNan's quilt. I think it integrates the blocks into the quilt better. I think alternating with a snowballed fishing fabric would be an excellent choice.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 AM

thanks! that's a beautiful quiltI hadn't thought about snowballs but it does look nice
Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
thanks! that's a beautiful quilt...
thanks quilt938