Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
John Flynn Frame - Enlarging the frame >

John Flynn Frame - Enlarging the frame

John Flynn Frame - Enlarging the frame

Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Hi all -

I recently bought the John Flynn Multi-Frame Quilting system (it's the one with fiberglass rods; from reading other posts, it sounds like it wasn't always). I want to quilt on a larger quilt and the video says to get metal conduit (EMT) or PVC piping in a larger length. My problem is that when I went to Home Depot, the end pieces (Maximizers) didn't fit onto the end of the piping! We went through all of Home Depot and couldn't find any type of pipe that the ends fit on.

I was wondering if any of you have found piping that works. If so, where?? He makes it sound so easy in the video and on his website, but I'm striking out...

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Power Poster

I would give them a call on Tuesday and ask them if they sell different end caps that would allow you to use the pipes that are available to you. They are very helpful there :wink:
Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I am waiting for some fabric to arrive so I can finish up the sides of a quilt. When that's done, I also want to try the John Flynn frame, and I will need to enlarge it too. I purchased my frame in March 2008, and so far haven't even taken it out of the wrapping, because I quilted large quilts in sections instead. Now I have a quilt that can't be done in sections, so I want to try the frame. I have already looked at pipe at Home Depot and intend to purchase it when the quilt is ready to go. I give this description because I want you to know that any help I offer is purely theoretical.

This is what it says on the John Flynn site: The Multi-Frame and the Multi-Frame Kit each come with round rod ends for metal conduit (EMT). The round rod ends have micro teeth and can be used with ¾” or 1” metal pipe.

So the question is, if you put the rod ends on the ends of your pipe, will it fit into the end pieces?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Banned

i didn't have any problems finding conduit that worked.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
This is what it says on the John Flynn site: The Multi-Frame and the Multi-Frame Kit each come with round rod ends for metal conduit (EMT). The round rod ends have micro teeth and can be used with ¾” or 1” metal pipe.

So the question is, if you put the rod ends on the ends of your pipe, will it fit into the end pieces?
I tried! We looked at both of those sizes of metal conduit, PVC, copper piping (unrealistic, but we were getting desperate) and NOTHING (pipe-wise) was the right size to fit into the rod ends. For those of you who have the machine, the black rod ends are very specially designed and they just weren't fitting. The fiberglass pipe they provided was 1 1/8" outer diameter and 15/16" inner diameter when I measured, which seems to be a bizarre size to find in a store...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 AM

I'm posting a link to my problem child parts of the machine

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho...uct/maximizer/

See, the piping has to fit into the black "mazimizers". If you go to the 3rd picture listed, you can see the maximizer up close. The pipe goes into the end cap by fitting nicely onto the recessed side. It has to be a very specific size or it won't fit both over the middle hexagon shape AND under the outer edge.

That side is needed to hold the rods in place so I don't think using the other size would work...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Try the CPVC plastic pipe. It is stiffer than regular pvc and should work for you. I have the Flynn frame as well and got the CPVC, its designed for hot water and is sturdier than the other stuff.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
Try the CPVC plastic pipe. It is stiffer than regular pvc and should work for you. I have the Flynn frame as well and got the CPVC, its designed for hot water and is sturdier than the other stuff.
I got the metal conduit that was specified in the instructions.. it's like way too heavy!!! I thought it might be good.. but it didn't.. :( I will try the CPVC pipe... Thanks for the suggestion! I tried to quilt w/ the conduit..I was almost in tears. This has made my day. What to you use to tape on the poles to add your leaders?

Missy
Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

I bought PVC pipe today called schedule 40,3/4", a 10 foot piece at Lowes was $1.94....just got thru cutting it....will let you know how it works. and yes I also could not find the fiberglass rods, like that came with the frame.
and I live in a very large city, population over 100,000, checked at both my local Home Depot and Lowes...figured if they didn't have it no one would. I took one of the ends with me and it did fit this pipe....
Old 07-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I also thought the metal conduit was way too heavy. I used it only to baste my whole quilt top with water soluble thread, and then I quilted it on my DSM. After that I bought a longarm. LOL A friend in the guild bought my John Flynn frame from me; she does only smaller quilts.