Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Pair of Scissors? >

Good Pair of Scissors?

Good Pair of Scissors?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Default Good Pair of Scissors?

I am wanting to purchase a good pair of sewing shears with the blades 4-5 inches in length. Please recommend a good brand to buy. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I love my Ginghers that I bought over 30 years ago. I am NOT sure if the quality has been maintained in the passage of time.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Gingher shears are wonderfully sharp. As my hands get more arthritic, though, I find I like the Fiskars spring-action shears. They are lightweight and nice to use...moderately priced, too.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I like Kai scissors.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I have all the Ginghers too. But, I have a set of Mundial scissors that are really nice I bought during the holidays a couple years ago. I got them at Hancock fabric store and they have them all on sale right now. I checked for you on line.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I purchased a pair of Ginghers years ago and was disappointed with the quality. Could have been a lemon. Also did not care for the weight of the shears (quite heavy).

For my next pair of scissors, I am going to buy Kai -- probably the ones with the serrated edges. Have seen many great posts about Kai, including how they made a pair of custom scissors for a quilter on the QB who has specific hand problems. If you decide on Kai, buy from their website rather than Amazon -- a better deal for them, and sometimes a better price when I have checked in the past.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Dovos are wonderful; an expensive brand, so it would be a splurge to buy a pair, but you'll have them for life!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by leaf View Post
Gingher shears are wonderfully sharp. As my hands get more arthritic, though, I find I like the Fiskars spring-action shears. They are lightweight and nice to use...moderately priced, too.
I so agree. Still using my, at least 30 year old, Ginghers but the Fiskars spring loaded work so well for me. My thumbs are especially thankful!!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by leaf View Post
I so agree. Still using my, at least 30 year old, Ginghers but the Fiskars spring loaded work so well for me. My thumbs are especially thankful!!!!

Buy Fiskars at JoAnn's with a 50% coupon or when all scissors are 50% off.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

The best general scissors I have are the Karen K Buckley scissors and the Clover Bordeaux Ultimate scissors. My Gingher metal scissor are a little heavy for me to use much so they are great in the kitchen for household use. I bought a pair of the batting scissor and they are so nice. If you cut a lot of batting they will be worth the price.
I have the Dovo embroidery scissors in my sewing basket for hand sewing. Over the years I have collected a lot of scissors. I have a basket full of all kinds. I like the single layer fabric scissors for quick snips.