Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Goofy Quilter Award Goes To.... >

Goofy Quilter Award Goes To....

Goofy Quilter Award Goes To....

Old 08-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Unhappy Goofy Quilter Award Goes To....

I've started my Christmas sewing, a first for me to be doing it this early and I love the fabrics, patterns and looked forward to creating a simple runner as my first gift. I need 32 HST, which is really a very small amount compared to larger projects. So I carefully cut my squares, matched the colors, put the squares with right sides together. I then very carefully measured the diagonal line and marked my fabric squares. I put my 1/4 foot on, a new foot that has helped greatly in keeping my seams at 1/4 inch. I thought I'd just chain sew the squares, how great. While I was doing this I was thinking of my sister who had just called. Sewing machine is humming along, feeding the squares one right after another, very pleased with the nice straight stitching. Finished the last square, removed the chain from the machine. Pressed each square. Sat down and am all ready to cut the HSTs apart, very pleased with the chain and how efficient it was to have chain pieced them. What I had done was to sew a beautiful line of stitches right along the marked diagonal line, no stitching 1/4 inch on each side of the line. Well it is only Tuesday and I've already wasted a great deal of time and made what is probably the dumbest mistake ever. So take heart if you mess up, no one could do anything nearly as dumb as what I just spent the afternoon doing.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Well, you got some good practice in.
I've taken the exit to work so many times, I even take it when I don't mean to
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM

If it were me, I'd probably have done that with no thread in the machine! You are not alone. Have a glass of wine and wait for tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 PM

You're not alone we all mess up.....
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM

I have done the exact same thing! Only natural!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM

When I do something goofy like that I walk away from the machine and find something else to do. I think we all have done really goofy errors so you are definitely NOT alone. Hope all goes well now.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM

I have that,too. What I did to fix it was to see 1/4 inch away from the ' sewn ' line and then just cut up the middle. No way was I gonna rip.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Count me in on the goof ups! Then I usually try to think of how I can re-design my quilt instead of ripping anything out or re-doing anything. I too am working on a Christmas project (lap quilt). I thought "oh those giant black and white polka dots will work great for the background around the blocks in the middle part." So I just start adding the polka dots to the blocks and find I don't have enough. So these giant dots have weird piecing together and I'm hoping it will look ok after I quilt it. My husband thinks it looks dumb, but I'm just going to move on with it. The person getting it isn't a quilter!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Take heart. I'm in a similar position having to start from scratch with my quilt top. Had to rip everything apart, soak the muslin-backed feature fabric & start from the beginning. Not only did I do something wrong, I didn't even know I was doing it wrong. Wasted a ton of time & money since I didn't realize you need to pre-shrink Wonder-Under before pressing it to the first fabric so it seized up hours after I had sewn everything together. What a mess!

Take the night off & start again tomorrow. You'll get it done.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM

I chained pieced approximately 100 blocks the other afternoon with NO BOBBIN THREAD while watching a movie....just kept pushing those seams under that presser foot! I feel your frustration. I used to think how can ANYONE be so careless as to do that...HA!