Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question >

Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question

Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question

Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Default Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question

Well, I'm off today because it was registration day for my son at his high school. I had planned to take him to do that and then go school shopping with him, but his friends who he hasn't seen all summer decided to come over-- which I'm thrilled about for two reasons-- first, he hasn't seen hardly anyone this summer, and second, it meant I got to sew! Yippee!!

So I've started on my Halloween quilt. I had ordered a layer cake from Moda and it came today (perfect timing!!). I cut it into 5 inch squares to sew into HST's. I've chain pieced most of them and have started to notice that some squares are a slight bit wonky. I'm wondering if I should square them up, and if so, what's the best way to do that with HST's?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM

I always square up my hst's. I usually put a ruler with a 45 degree line on the square , with the line on the sewn line, and cut the edges that stick beyond the ruler.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM

I always have to square up my HST. I do as Mike'sgirl said but just purchased a Loc Bloc ruler to do it and I like it very much, but it sure does seem expensive.

You'll appreciate the effort later when you go to put them together.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

In my classes I request the Bias 8 Square ruler from Martingale. I believe it to be the best square up ruler on the market and it is still the only one marked with SOLID 1/8" lines in two directions....and this allows you to sliver off the tiniest bit on all sides of a block or block section.

Here is how I use it.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails squaring-hsts.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Excellent, thank you!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Since you say you started with 5" squares, I'm guessing that you're aiming for a 4.5" unfinished (4" finished) HST. You would need to trim them a tad even if they were not wonky.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 PM

I, too, always need to square up HST's. Primarily I suppose because I up-size them by the 1/8" (cut at the 1" mark vs the 7/8" mark). I use a different ruler but do as Jan in VA does. One of the main reasons I bought a rotating cutting mat. Makes the tedious job a tad easier. Gotta love 50% off coupons at JoAnns!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Yes, I started with 5 inches thinking that if I screwed it up, I could trim them. I think I might order that ruler Jan in VA recommended. Wish I had a rotating mat!! But I have a small table I can walk around, so that will suffice. :-)
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Yes, I started with 5 inches thinking that if I screwed it up, I could trim them. I think I might order that ruler Jan in VA recommended. Wish I had a rotating mat!! But I have a small table I can walk around, so that will suffice. :-)
...or if your mat is small enough just twirl it around....

I am looking for the fiskar 8" rotating mat..have the other two green ones, but this one looks "handier". I may try michaels or hobby lobby I really hate to order online, but may have to
Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 AM

Instead of investing in a rotating mat, just get a smaller mat that can rest on your main mat. You can still easily spin it, and it'll cost a lot less than a rotating mat. Wish I had figured that out before I bought one!

I square up the way Jan described. I don't have that exact ruler but I have one that is similar. I have some bloc loc rulers too but only in small sizes so they don't get used very often.