Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors for applique? >

Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors for applique?

Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors for applique?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors for applique?

I've seen Perfect Scissors highly recommended a number of times for cutting detailed applique and recently got a pair. I haven't tried them out yet. After they arrived I realized that most (not all) of the applique I'm likely to do will involve tracing the shape onto a paper-backed fusible. In order to cut out the pattern I'll have to cut paper as well as fabric. And cutting paper with our good scissors, as we all know, is a no-no if we want to keep our scissors sharp.

So that means I'm back to cutting applique with my cheaper, small scissors with the tiny finger holes that hurt my fingers. I'll probably use the Buckley scissors at some point, but not for cutting out my applique shapes. I'm wondering if I wasted money on this purchase. Do any of you have experience with the scissors for applique?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM

I have 2 sizes...they are the best I've used in many years.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM

I think they are great for doing needle turn hand appliqué where you add the approximate 1/4" outside an ironed on freezer paper pattern.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM

I like those scissors -- they have a serrated edge that grips the fabric so it is easier to cut. I would buy one pair for just fabric and one for the fusible applique.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

I do machine applique with paper back fusible A Lot! And use my "perfect scissors" they are wonderful and cutting the paper has not dulled or done any other damage to the scissors. The paper used on fusible products is not the same as notebook paper, newsprint or paper sacks. I love, love,love those scissors. I use them on wools with freezer paper too, they are always the ones I grab for any/all applique projects, still as great and sharp as the day I bought them.I can not even imagine the thousands of applique shapes they have cut for me so far; fusible, freezer paper, cotton, wool, corduroy, denim, microfiber, suede... They handle what ever I need to cut and stay sharp
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 AM

I print my applique designs onto Print n Fuse sheets, then I use my good Fiskars for cutting the applique designs .

Sandy
Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard of these scissors before. I bought my duck bill Ginger scissors decades ago which have always worked great for me with either hand or machine applique.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 AM

Use them for fusible backed applique!!! The paper won't hurt them at all. I have two pairs of micro serrated scissors I use just for fusible backed applique and they stay sharp.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

And cutting paper with our good scissors, as we all know, is a no-no if we want to keep our scissors sharp.
I don't think this is true now. The everyday paper used today is not like the paper made decades ago and the scissors are sharpened differently from different type of metals. I use my good big scissors to cut paper and haven't noticed any dulling. I don't have the patience to have to look for paper scissors, applique scissors, fabric scissors, or craft scissors. I grab whichever pair is handy. I want a pair to cut whatever it is I want cut at the time. I do snip paper with my KB small scissors and cut cardstock with my Ginghers.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-02-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I do machine applique with paper back fusible A Lot! And use my "perfect scissors" they are wonderful and cutting the paper has not dulled or done any other damage to the scissors. The paper used on fusible products is not the same as notebook paper, newsprint or paper sacks. I love, love,love those scissors. I use them on wools with freezer paper too, they are always the ones I grab for any/all applique projects, still as great and sharp as the day I bought them.I can not even imagine the thousands of applique shapes they have cut for me so far; fusible, freezer paper, cotton, wool, corduroy, denim, microfiber, suede... They handle what ever I need to cut and stay sharp
Thanks Ckcowl I have 2 pair and always wondered this, love mine and am glad to hear they work fine on paper. I am taking a paper piecing class by carol doak and she uses her scissors and rotary cutters for both paper and fabric and says they don't dull them, and she has been quilting for a lot of years, makes me wonder if it is one of those myths