Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ? >

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Newbie still trying to work my way through the major forum themes. Please excuse any faux pas if I'm being totally oblivious to something well known to long term members.

Is there a thread about those too good to throw away, but unliked, unwanted, not happy with, know we'll never finish them, and would happily see gone to a new home, quilt tops ? and, if there is, would someone kindly point me in the right direction ?

Thank you

Mary
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM

That would be the "Main" forum -- we talk about anything quilts there! Welcome to the board -- you will learn lots and make many new friends.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Well there is a thread for finishing quilts (UFO Therapy Thread) and a sister thread to that for talking about and getting encouragement on work in progress. I did see a couple of posts about quilts people wanted to give away/trade on there. Not sure if there's thread dedicated to rehoming UFOs, however. But you hsould drop by the sister thread to chat anyway
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Some may disagree about what I am about to write but it is how I feel.

This is my hobby and my fun time. If I am working on a project that is causing me unhappiness, stress and such--I am not going to keep on working on it. I always make one block if the quilt is going to have all the same blocks. If I do not enjoy making it that is the end of it. I always make these red white and blue so they can later be worked into a sampler type quilt unless they are a hot mess. They they become stuffing for dogs beds.

I took an all day class and did NOT like the blocks. I managed to make 4 and that was enough for the center of a Veteran quilt.

The only types of UFOs--really more of a work in progress-- I have are maybe blocks of the month or perhaps a very precise type sewing (which I rarely do)
and need a break in between blocks. My sewing room is small and I do not want alot of stuff taking up space that does not bring me joy.

You are smart to have a plan for these types of projects. I mailed some things off to an internet friend who turns unwanted projects into wonderful charity quilts before I came up with a system that works for me.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I rarely fret about UFOs because I believe:
Sometimes, even though your quilt isn't finished, you're finished with your quilt.
Even Da Vinci left work unfinished and no one denies his genius.

Jan in VA
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

some of mine will become backing for another top!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about a thread with suggestions for ufo's that are unloved, but, a suggestion would be to donate them to a group that will finish them and pass them on to the needy. Check with your local quilt guild, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

That being said, I have put away tops and gone back much later and changed them up to make a great quilt.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:56 AM

we ought to start a round robin for unwanted UFO's - put yours in a box, send to next person, they take out what they like, add theirs, send to next person. Like a coupon train, if you know what that is.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 AM

It's okay, Macra. I have a set of quilts I just want to burn. I didn't love them in the first place & they've caused me more problems than I could possibly fit on one page. But they're for a client, so I'm taking my guild's advice that they really don't look as awful as I'm making them out to be & finishing up the quilting on them this week. Then, I get to treat myself with a quilt where I picked out every last fabric & thread that's in it. Makes me happy just thinking about it.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM

I have a few that I didn't like and didn't finish. What I did was chop them up and used them in scrappy string quilts, and liked the result and liked that I didn't waste the fabric.