Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Struggles with Stripes >

Struggles with Stripes

Struggles with Stripes

Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Swap Hosts

Default Struggles with Stripes

I was looking for a solution to incorporating some striped fabric into a quilt and came across Struggles with Stripes from the Bad Ass Quilters Society. It didn't solve my problem -- still struggling with those darn stripes -- but it was really interesting. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM

went to the site......personally think the name of it is totally unnecessary, but thats JMHO.....anyway.......nothing there would help you. All that person did was gather a bunch of pics from various sources, with his/her own comments about them, at best and wrote a 'paper' on the subject......dah!!!!!!!!! BTW sorry you are struggling w/d...... stripes. Ask someone here, maybe you can get some GOOD advice. And I did not think that site was interesting..........just blah, blah,blah!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:01 PM

Geez Geri B, tell us what you really think! Personally I thought your comment was totally unnecessary!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Swap Hosts

To each her own! I liked it. Sorry you didn't.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 PM

I enjoyed it too.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:58 AM

Some of the finished projects gave me some great ideas for purses. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 AM

I personally refused to use stripes! Ugh...makes me cross eyed when trying to cut it right and ends up being crooked.
So I give all mine away :}
Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 AM

I can not sew stripes. It makes me so dizzy and sick to my stomach.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
went to the site......personally think the name of it is totally unnecessary, but thats JMHO.....anyway.......nothing there would help you. All that person did was gather a bunch of pics from various sources, with his/her own comments about them, at best and wrote a 'paper' on the subject......dah!!!!!!!!! BTW sorry you are struggling w/d...... stripes. Ask someone here, maybe you can get some GOOD advice. And I did not think that site was interesting..........just blah, blah,blah!!!!!!
I really liked the ideas I got from the website. I have a lot of stripes and do use them, but not often enough. Not all quilters have the experience that you do Geri B. We on this board are typically inspired by beauty that others create and the websites they find that help us out. And what is beauty to one could look like a mish-mash to another. That is just no reason to bash someone bringing something to the board that others may appreciate. I hope you have a GREAT day today and may your quilts be beautiful.

Happy Quilting!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Swap Hosts

The original reason I went in search of tips on working with stripes is that I am making a throw for my sofa -- using what's in my stash. I had enough for some blocks but felt they needed sashing and the fabric I have, while patterned in curlicues and dots is, nonetheless, striped! I decided it would look best on the diagonal. After looking at a zillion sites that essentially offered tips for cutting on the diagonal for binding, I devised my own method and that has worked out well. Aware of the potential for stretching, I decided to starch well before I cut and that helped. Sewing to the blocks was another matter. More than once I was horrified to see that the sashing slipped away so I was only sewing the block! Lots of time with my seam ripper. In the end, it will be just fine. Not meant to be entered into a show, just to keep me cozy.