Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if there were no more brick & mortar shops? >

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM

I have to drive at least 30 minutes to my nearest LQS. They are the closest....next is 45minutes.

I have health issues and don't go out shopping all that much anymore...I use to go shopping at the drop of a hat. But, I can cruise the fabric shops right here on line. I love looking at Hancock's of Paducah...and they also have a brick and mortor. Without being able to shop online....I would be forced to only use my stash....heaven forbid. LOL
Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
Kinda like someone walking into my husbands 7-11 with a speedway refill cup and expecting free coffee from him...the smaller stores have a lot more overhead than others and buying in smaller quanities expensive!
I agree with you in that someone should be ashamed to bring a competitor's cup in to refill and expect it to be free, but I belong to Sam's club and I stand in line behind convenience store owners that are buying boxes upon boxes of cigarettes ect to resell at their stores and mark it up twice the amount they paid that's 100% profit and sometimes more, they also only have family working for them so they can pay as low as possible wages. I understand LQS having to have higher prices as they pay higher prices for their stock and hire outside of family which helps our economy, but they could also have incentives for customers ie a punch card after so many yards purchased you get your card punched & at X# of punches get a free FQ ect. I support the LQS but times as they are, we sometimes have no choice but to find what we want & can afford online. I completely agree it is morally wrong to take pictures out of books you don't own that is outright stealing, same as ripping the page out of the book without buying it.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trene View Post
quilting is (or can be) an expensive hobby. I am lucky that I rarely need to buy fabric, as I inherited my mom's not-inconsiderable stash. that said, when I do purchase new fabric, I shop around. if I see something I like, I don't accept the first price I see. this is true in ALL my purchases, whether it is a pair of scissors or a new car! This way I can afford to pursue my hobby.
Exactly! Just like when we research to purchase a new machine....the price, the classes offered and any extras with the machine.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Unfortunately you just have to make do. I usually buy fabrics from a single line so I know they go together. I also have a kona and bella solids chart so I can match prints to a solid and then order the solid fabrics. It's always a crap shoot.
There are more online stores that have a board you can match up your fabrics with to see what will go with it, I've had fun playing with it & like the idea that most will tell you how much of each fabric you need for a certain pattern ect, but I admit I haven't purchased anything this way.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM

I can hear the Coyotes & their new Kit's howling out in the back field I reckon they are telling me to keep my opinions to myself. Sorry if I have offended anyone on my rant tonight, just been a ruff couple of sewing days catching up to me. I am sincerely sorry if anyone was offended.
Jeri
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 PM

I would C R Y!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 AM

There use to be 7 fabric shops here now there are only 2 left. Wally World was the reason 3 closed their doors. 2 because they could not compete with on line sales. One of the 2 remaining has the same stock as WW at double the price. The 7th is a family thing -passed down for several generations and will be for a few more generations to come.I love this shop. If I need some thing they do not have due to their limited space they will add it to their order at no extra charge. If I had to drive to JoAnn's or Hancock's they are both 110 miles round trip. I do not do any on line shopping..I'd rather spend my time and money in the local shops. I even buy my critter supplies at the local farm store. I do not shop at Wally World. You couldn't make me go in our local WW with a shot gun to my head.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:18 AM

I'm driving 50 miles, each way, today to go to the hairdresser. I line up other stops along the way. To others,that's a road trip. Depends on what you're used to and what you're willing to put up with to live in a beautiful area.

I'd drive that far to Hancock's or KQ, but I'd actually have to be rolling past JoAnn's to go in.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I know the reps the shops closest to me use. I can call them and get the same price the shops gets if I buy the bolt. The bolt is usually 15 yards so two of my friends and I will buy bolts and each get 5 yards of each bolt. Reps won't turn down sales from any customer.
How does one meet those reps and don't you have to be in business to purchase at wholesale?
sandy
Old 09-17-2014, 05:04 AM

I shop my one little local quilt shop at every opportunity when possible. It is invaluable to have a "real" shop to go to, no matter how small. There is nothing quite like the personal touch and if we don't support them when we can, they won't survive. I have experienced ordering a wide backing fabric that wasn't even close to the color it looked on my monitor, had to send it back and with great trepidation, order another color and pray. I also had to pay shipping twice for this one. This wouldn't happen at your local quilt store, you know what you are getting. You can also feel the quality of the fabric at hand. So, yes, I shop there whenever possible for what I need.