Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in  the Chattanooga quilt show >

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Default Disappointed in the Chattanooga quilt show

I was really excited about my daugher in law taking me. She had never been to a quilt show and didn' have anything to compare it to Did any of you go? Am I just being overly critical? I haven't been that many but i could name several vendors that weren't there.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I have too been disappointed with my local quilt shows because I don't see any quilts that inspire me. Too many art quilts. That is why I love this board with all the Photos that are posted.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I love lots of quilt vendors but seldom know which ones aren't there unless it's a specialized vendor. They all have about the same products. The NQA has moved to Little Rock AR so I'm looking forward to going to that show in June. I've never been to one of their shows.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:09 AM

A few years ago I took my DIL to a local quilt show. I was so disappointed in the quilts they had on display. Most looked like beginner quilts. When we left I told her not to judge all quilt shows by that one.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 AM

It isn't always easy to get vendors to be a part of a quilt show. Just because you invite them to come doesn't mean they are interested or that they aren't already booked during the dates of your show. Also, the size of the quilt show makes a difference. Our guild is having a quilt show the first weekend in October, and it has been challenging to find enough interested vendors, and our chairman started a year ago contacting folks. Our show isn't one of the large ones, and I am sure that is part of the reason.

So, the show may have wanted more vendors and it just didn't happen.

Dina
Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Earlier this year, my sister and I went to a local show that had just one vendor and she did not bring very much. However, the quilts were very pretty and I can easily spend my money at one of our local shops or online. The owners of our two local shops are aging and one of them told me the amount of effort it takes to pack up a bunch of stuff and cart it to the place where the show is being held, plays havoc with her back.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

So were you disappointed in the quilts or lack of vendors? I guess I think of a quilt show as a show of quilts and I go planning on looking a quilts. If there are any vendors there at all, it's just an 'add-on' to the main event. If I want vendors, I go to one of the sewing expos, where, if they do have quilts or sewn items in a display, that's an add-on!
BTW, the larger quilt shows usually post a vendor list so you can see who will be there before you go to the show
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 AM

I was somewhat disappointed. This was an AQS show and I was expecting much more like the other shows they put on. A lot of the vendors they usually get were not there. I did like the display of cow quilts. They were too cute.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:07 AM

I too was disappointed. The quilts were more modern/art quilts than traditional. The vendors seem to be selling the same things. There were several selling long arm machines and just about everyone had similar fabric. I was surprised at how many quilts were from other countries. I like traditional quilts but the quilts were beautiful. I went to the Medal Of Honor Gala on Saturday, the quilts made for the MOH recipients were on display and they were wonderful. I liked these more than the ones at Chattanooga. (all a matter of personal taste) Chattanooga was well organized, parking was easy, the shuttle came often and the food trucks were great. The free shuttle Chattanooga has that takes you from the Choo-Choo to the river was nice if you hadn't been there before and wanted to see a little bit of the city. Even thou I was disappointed I still enjoyed myself.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

The last big quilt show I went to most of the quilts were from other countries. Even though the quilts were beautiful and excellent workmanship, I feel a disconnect with them. Also to me, the modern and art quilts are boring to look at after about a dozen of them. But I love a quilt show and will go to one when I can. I always see or hear something that motivates me.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-16-2014 at 06:22 AM.