Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Viking 3D embroidery machine >

Help with Viking 3D embroidery machine

Help with Viking 3D embroidery machine

Old 10-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Help with Viking 3D embroidery machine

I am a hands on type of learner and reading all of the manuals for this machine is not working for me. I live in Mesa AZ area and I would gladly pay someone to show me how to embroider on this machine. I especially am interested in doing whole sentences and small designs on quilt squares.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:15 PM

You should be able to get classes from where you bought the machine. If not, maybe there's a local embroidery guild. Or maybe someone at your local quilt guild could point you in the right direction. Or maybe your local JoAnn's has classes? Just some random ideas...

Good Luck!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Are you sure that's the name of the machine? I know the embroidery software was called 3D (old version), but I've not heard of a 3D machine. Many Viking dealers will still offer classes even if you didn't buy your machine there. I would check there first.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:48 AM

3D is the software. What kind of machine do you have & what size hoops can you use? Size of hoop will determine what space is allowed for your sentences until you learn how to "build" around it.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:31 AM

What is the machine, 3D is the organizer that they give with it and if you have the full version its also the software to do designs, depending on what version of 3D you have. I'm thinking yours might be the designer but its older if it came with 3D. Viking is now up to 6D with their software and lots of machines in the past few yrs have came out.

Most Viking dealers will give classes (probably not for free, unless you bougth the machine from them) along with software classes. I'd check around or if you go to Viking's website they'll find you the closest store and you can call them. There are places that give lessons no matter what your machine is but they normally require you have some knowledge. You can check you hoops that came with it to get an idea of sizes but you may not have them all. You can find that on Vikings website too. Or if you give us the information we can help you figure it out. Did you get any manuals with your machine.

Last edited by romanojg; 10-05-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:40 AM

If you are trying to use 3D, go find an old XP laptop, take it offline for security and dedicate it to XP. I remember running 3D on W98. On that version, you needed a printer port to run it. The full 3D is a digitizing program, the light one gives some control, and 3D also had a file assistant that just transferred files.

If the machine is a 1+ or a Rose, it uses cards. Amazing designs has a card reader that will work. They used the HUS format.

If it's the first Designer, it saved files in a slightly different manner. If you can find a program that works with that model Designer, then you don't need 3D. I think it used floppies.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 AM

If you are trying to use 3D, go find an old XP laptop, take it offline for security and dedicate it to XP. I remember running 3D on W98. On that version, you needed a printer port to run it. The full 3D is a digitizing program, the light one gives some control, and 3D also had a file assistant that just transferred files.

If the machine is a 1+ or a Rose, it uses cards. Amazing designs has a card reader that will work. They used the HUS format.

If it's the first Designer, it saved files in a slightly different manner. If you can find a program that works with that model Designer, then you don't need 3D. I think it used floppies. There are other programs for just customizing and resizing designs if you don't want to digitize. I used Buzztools at one time and there are now more to choose from.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:07 AM

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm going to check out the classes.