Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to quilt this >

Best way to quilt this

Best way to quilt this

Old 10-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Best way to quilt this

Please see pictures of this quilt. Each senior block is embroidered. I was thinking of just quilting around those blocks, doing stitch in the ditch for the 9 patch and then feathers for the white parts. Opinions please. Also thread color??? I have purchased a variegated red, blue and white thread but it is actually serger thread and not the best for quilting.
Attached Thumbnails senior-quilt-2015.jpg   senior-quilt-2-2015.jpg  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

I think your quilting pattern ideas would work. I'm afraid the red/white/blue variegated serger thread will not look that great though. I would suggest a Glisten metallic thread from the company that makes Glide thread:
http://www.bobbincentral.com/quiltin...d/glisten.html
I am thinking one of their silver or gold threads would look really nice with everything. Metallic threads can be a pain to quilt with, but Glisten is supposed to be easier to handle than others. I have had really good luck with their Glide thread, and that could be an option for you too, but I think a metallic would really make the quilt sparkle. (There is a little sparkle in Glide thread also that makes a quilt shine, but I assume the metallic would be even better.)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

I always match my top thread colour to the bobbin so I would make sure the backing and front were both compatible with my thread choice. I think I would do an oval or circle outlining the embroidery and then SITD on the 9 patches. The feathers would be nice in the white areas. Angela Walters has posted several FMQ designs on youtube that would look good also. I am thinking Paisley Feather or Fern Feathers? Nice top!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 PM

I think white feathers would look beautiful o n the white. The rest also sounds exciting, could shadow instead of in the ditch( I'm hopeless at that soi always shadow. )
Bit is a fantastic quilt.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Gorgeous quilt. I like your suggested plan. I like white on white quilting in the open spaces. You may want a color for the SID on the colored blocks, like a red.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
Gorgeous quilt. I like your suggested plan. I like white on white quilting in the open spaces. You may want a color for the SID on the colored blocks, like a red.
I agree with faykilgore, It depends on what level your quilting skills are. You can always cross hatch the white background using the points of the blocks to use as your guide. Nice quilt.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Thank you, the backing is red, so bobbin thread will be red. I will do white in the open spaces and use a design that almost looks like an eagle in the blocks in between the colored blocks. The embroidered colored blocks I am leaving alone, just stitch around them. The 9 patch I will probably SITD using a variegated thread for quilting that I purchased yesterday. All advice is greatly appreciated! Wish me luck!!!!!