Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting With A Spoon >

Hand Quilting With A Spoon

Hand Quilting With A Spoon

Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Hand Quilting With A Spoon

I wish I'd used a spoon sooner for my hand quilting!!! Someone had mentioned it on another thread I started but I had forgotten about it until I saw a video for TJ's Quick Quilter. I have tried everything I've heard others suggest to save my fingers but just can't get use to having anything on them. The fingernail on my left hand is permanently grooved since that's the one that helps push the needle back to the top of the quilt. Decided to try a regular spoon before ordering TJ's Quick Quilter and wish I'd done this years ago!!! The regular teaspoon's handle is too long and too slender to be comfortable so I ordered the quick quilter a few minutes ago. Can't wait for it to get here!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I had never heard of using a spoon but I mostly machine quilt. Thanks for sharing and hope your fingernails heal quickly. I use Hoofer's Choice on my nails because quilting does take a toil on them. I have had very good results.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM
IQ2

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-w...605A1DBCC0BBDB

Here's a tutorial on spoon quilting from Jinny Beyer's blog.I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's so cool!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I've tried the spoon quilting and not too crazy about it. Wanting to try the Aunt Becky quilting tool. It's by Jean Brown. There is a video. I just googled Aunt Becky Quilting tool video but you can also google Jean Brown Aunt Becky video. Of course I have to say I didn't buy the spoon tool. I used a baby's metal feeding spoon much like the shape of the quilting spool. Interesting video though!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM

I really like Aunt Becky's but I learned to hand quilt at the same time that I was learning how to use the Aunt Becky. It took a little while to get the hang of both but eventually I was able to get nice, consistent stitches.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM

I use a tablespoon size measuring spoon...with a short handle. It fits in my hand easily..it works great for long ,fairly straight areas...not so we'll go me on short,curvy stuff. I won a blue ribbon at the fair,having used it.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Very interesting! Now if I could just learn to use a thimble.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 PM

I have been hand quilting for almost 28 years and I still can't get use to using a thimble. lol .... I think I have tried almost every thimble made but just can't use one.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 PM

I just ordered Aunt Becky's tool and found a great custom fitted sterling silver thimble with fingernail space at the AQS show in Des Moines IA. I also got the thimble cage and chain to go with it. Can hardly wait for Aunt Becky's tool to get here. I am determined to learn this method. I HATE hand quilting where I have to poke my finger all the time. The thimble works great for needle turn appliqué and embroidery also.