Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting with a Spoon??????? >

Hand Quilting with a Spoon???????

Hand Quilting with a Spoon???????

Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 PM

Has anyone tried this method to hand quilt before? I just found a video on youtube that shows a TJ's Quick Quilter in use.
Thanks,
Harry Barnett
Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 AM

I use the Aunt Becky, which works along the same principle. It's fantastic, I couldn't quilt without it. You can read more about why spoon quilting is a good idea at http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-w...605A1DBCC0BBDB. I don't recommend using a cutlery teaspoon, however: I tried it, and not only was it uncomfortable to hold, but it wrecked the needle very quickly. I ended up with a scratched teaspoon and a damaged needle which would actually catch in the spoon, instead of just bouncing off it.

I prefer using a Q-Snap frame myself, plus I'm in the UK, but your frame range does look very interesting.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 AM

What about using another thimble on the underside? Seems to me it would be easier to control than a spoon.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Hi,yes,it's been around since I can remember.From the 80's anyway.And probably before that.A baby's spoon works the best as it has a bigger handle and smaller spoon tip.A grapefruit spoon works better for me,as it has tiny teeth.You can also use a finger pick from a guitar,banjo etc.Only turn it upside down on the finger so the tip is covered.And that would be the pick used by lap guitars,or steel guitars.There is a LOT of OLD tips that are getting lost with time.I should write them down so I don't forget.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Sorry,my cat jumped and I accedintly hit it a 2nd time.yes,it's been around since I can remember.From the 80's anyway.And probably before that.A baby's spoon works the best as it has a bigger handle and smaller spoon tip.You can also use a finger pick from a guitar,banjo etc.Only turn it upside down on the finger so the tip is covered.And that would be the pick used by lap guitars,or steel guitars.There is a LOT of OLD tips that are getting lost with time.I should write them all down so I don't forget one day.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Woooooo. I need to try this...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Banned

I learned to use a thimble by using underneith. Get an older thimble at the thrift store that is almost smooth around the top edge and flatten the top. Use the edge to help guide the needle. It works.
The spoon also works as it makes the pleat needed to form the stitch. I also use the inexpensive thimble that is depressed on the top. Save for the more expensive thimbles until later. The cheepies work as well. I would think the problem with the needle damaging the spoon as reported above is that a silverplated spoon might have been used which is a softer surface. Stainless steel would not damage. I find that the older thimble does not damage the needle either.

Harry - how far are you from Sturbridge. I teach hand quilting at Charlton Sewing Center.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:43 AM

I saw that done in a class "many" years ago.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM

tried it, couldn't get the hang and under finger does get very sore
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 AM

While hand quilting and dealing with very sore underneath fingers, I went in search of help. I tried "Aunt Becky", couldn't use that, my needle kept slipping and made terrible stitches. I tried using the plastic sticky pads, but the needle would get stuck on an edge of it. I read about Jinny Beyer using a spoon but I didn't want to spend more money and end up not being able to use it(T J's quilting spoon). I had my husband cut about half the handle off of an old teaspoon, then for comfort I put a pencil cushion (don't know what they are called) on what was left of the handle. It works great!!! I love it. There are certain times that I have to go back to using my fingers, when I can't get the spoon in the right position, but, the spoon works great 99% of the time. Since my spoon worked so well I decided to buy the "real" quilters spoon, but I don't like it as well as mine, the angle of the handle is different and doesn't fit me as well. My spoon didn't get scratched for a long time, and even when it did, it didn't cause a problem, it is stainless.