Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting with a Spoon??????? >

Hand Quilting with a Spoon???????

Hand Quilting with a Spoon???????

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 AM

I used a spoon, then a TJ's quick quilter, in the 1990's. The spoon made a nice, thin ridge, but the handle was too thin to hold comfortably for long. The TJ's tool was too heavy, the ridge it makes is too thick for my taste, and the handle still too narrow. I have that blue, plastic, cone-shaped thimble with the disc toward the end-OK but not great. My fav but still not perfect tool for over 10 yrs is a porcelain thimble with a smooth disc end that makes a lovely thin ridge and the hand position involved is not fatiguing. If my finger didn't get hot and smushed it would be perfect. If I ever see another, I'll buy it, because I live in fear that I'll break it. To be clear, these are all tools used under the quilt with your non-dominant hand.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 AM

I can't post pics from my iPhone, but I can email pics if anyone is interested. PM me.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I learned to use a thimble by using underneith. Get an older thimble at the thrift store that is almost smooth around the top edge and flatten the top. Use the edge to help guide the needle. It works.
The spoon also works as it makes the pleat needed to form the stitch. I also use the inexpensive thimble that is depressed on the top. Save for the more expensive thimbles until later. The cheepies work as well. I would think the problem with the needle damaging the spoon as reported above is that a silverplated spoon might have been used which is a softer surface. Stainless steel would not damage. I find that the older thimble does not damage the needle either.

Harry - how far are you from Sturbridge. I teach hand quilting at Charlton Sewing Center.
Not many people know where Kingston, MA. is, but I am about 5 miles from Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower. I can almost see it from my home office window. I think we are a couple hours apart.