Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deer head applique---Quilt back >

Deer head applique---Quilt back

Deer head applique---Quilt back

Old 10-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Deer head applique---Quilt back

Hey there,

Could anyone tell me how to enlarge and applique an image of two deer heads onto the back of a quilt (after quilting)? I found an image I liked but right now it is only about four inches each way and would like it to be around 40. How would I enlarge it enough to use for my project? And also, what would be the easiest way to applique this by hand without having raw edges? It is a Browning deers type of image.

And I also want to say that I am very grateful for all of the help I've gotten from ya'll. You are some very talented folks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-07-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 AM

If you know someone who has an overhead projector, you can tape paper to the wall, enlarge the image and trace it onto the paper on the wall. I just did something like this for a friend who needed a large anchor pattern for applique. The only way I know to attach it to the quilt after quilting would be to do needle turn by hand and only go thru the backing (or backing and batting).

If you don't find a better solution and would like me to try, I would be glad to send you something. I am not sure I can get it as large as 40" but could try it and let you know.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

You could print out the photo and trace it, then take to a place like Kinko's and have them enlarge it. (Not sure they would agree to enlarge a photo taken off the net.)

To applique it, I would use a freezer paper technique. Use a permanent Sharpie pen to trace the design onto the dull side of freezer paper. (A light box helps for this step, although some people tape to a window.) Cut out the paper pattern and iron it to the *right* side of the fabric you want to use. Pin to the backing side of the quilt. Use hand applique to stitch the turned-under edge to the backing. Do not cut out the whole applique first; it's easier to cut just an inch or two ahead of where you will be sewing, turn under the edge following the paper pattern on top, hand stitch the edge for a short distance, then cut some more and hand stitch some more. Remove the freezer paper when finished.

I will try to look for a tutorial on the hand applique technique.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM

DeneK

I knew there had to be a use for that overhead projector that I got at an auction a while back. Only paid $5. Never thought of applique purposes. Hmmm....
Old 10-07-2014, 05:07 PM
yel

an office supply place may be able to enlarge it for you .....or somewhere that does blue prints.......you could also do the old fashion way and graph paper
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM

I use the graph paper method all the time to enlarge pictures. Draw a 1/4" grid over your picture then draw a grid with 4" squares (10 x larger). Then draw the image block by block.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 PM

A quilter friend takes her pix to a local print shop who enlarges to any size.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 PM

I've done it with EQ7.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:01 PM

All the above great ways. I am more concerned that one big 40" picture would be unstable in the centre. Therefore you would need to do some quilting over the pictures ensuring the stitches don't go to the front . If I had to select a method I would use needle turn as this would not have any form of stiffening on the back or glue to attach to needle.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 AM

One quick note on enlarging...you will lose a lot of "sharpness". The larger you go, the more white space between the pixels making the image appear fuzzy. If you have a home copier, take the 4" deer image and keep enlarging it until it fills the page completely - you will see what I mean by fuzzy.