Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hand made items and their recipients >

Hand made items and their recipients

Hand made items and their recipients

Old 10-12-2014, 04:26 AM

One of my quilts was buried with a great grandson. If it made the mom feel better it was okay with me. I have been told that several of them are in memory boxes to be passed on to future generations. I think that's pretty spiffy!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:13 AM
pal

That was lovely. I really hope that the people that I make gifts for know the amount of time and love that goes into creating something for them. I have knocked myself out to make things that are unique to the recipient and very often have not received more than a "thanks" and on to the next gift. I've also noted that "Thank You" notes are mostly a thing of the past.

Last edited by pal; 10-12-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: more to say
Old 10-12-2014, 11:34 AM

I have noticed that most "snarky handmade" comments come from people to whom creativity is a foreign language....poor them.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Some people just don't appreciate hand made items, they think store bought is better.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Wow! That story really struck home to me. The very first quilt I ever made was a baby quilt for a lady that taught me how to crochet and can items and so many other things. She had trouble getting and staying pregnant so this baby was special in so many ways. So I got the iron-on embroidery nursery rhymes, embroidered the patches and did the sashing and it was tied because this was back in the '70's so had never heard of long arm machine let alone hire someone. Any way, my friend and her family moved to Reno area and we have kept in touch for the 28 years and finally met up at Disneyland last week. She told me her daughter still has the quilt and it is still used to this day. Her daughter has 3 of her own children and each one has used it. My friend replaced the back a time or two but it is very well used and so is the one I made for her next daughter. That was so nice to hear and really quite a surprise.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 PM

I started quilting in 2005 when I got a job at the local quilt store. I got the first Turning Twenty book & started collecting fat quarters of hand tools & related items for make a quilt for my Dad. His birthday was 12/23 so it was a combo B-day/Christmas gift & he didn't wait for Christmas to open it. At his funeral last Jan. we incorporated hand tools & his "travel" tool box with the flowers and the quilt was draped over the casket. Many people let me know he was very proud of it & 'bragged' that I made it. I let my brother know the quilt was to go to him & be passed along. Maybe it will become a 'family' quilt if my great niece allows. She believes any quilt I send to MI is hers!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM

My in-law family has a tradition. Any handmade gifts must be returned to the maker of the gift upon the recipient's demise. If an other family member would like to keep the gift, they must ask for it. Many years ago I made for my mother and mother in law crocheted afghans. When my mother died, my younger sister asked me for the afghan and I of course gave to her. No one knows what happened to my mil's afghan. We were quite surprised that she kept the box, empty, for years on the closet shelf.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM

That's terrible....I am so sorry that this happened. Some people just have no kindness or class. Normal folks appreciate handmade gifts.

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I have made quilts for every one in my family and they are very much used and loved by all. But a year ago my 18 yr old niece had a baby girl. I made a light wgt quilt and sent it to Fla. so it would be there for the shower. - They posted pics of her holding up each present and a special thank you and how much she loved the cheesy store bought quilts and blankies. But no pic or thank you of the quilt I made for her. So I call and leave a VM for my sister afraid it may have got lost in transit. A wk past by before my niece sent a Facebook message -yeah it got here ty --- I still don't know if she liked it or gave it to the Goodwill.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Thank you for sharing that. I also shared the link on FB.
Just an aside: my 13 yo grandson, who is a star quarterback on his middle school team loved his crocheted blanket until it was just threads. Well last football season when he got me (and grandpa) alone, he said "Baa" was on his last legs. After the football game when he had me totally alone he asked if I would make him another "Baa". It doesn't matter that this boy is bigger than me- he's a grandchild! Oh, and he asked for the same mixed pastels baby yarn.
Well, last month I slipped him the gift bag after a very impressive game. I made that blanket big enough for him to wrap in.
My DDIL told me last week that he wraps up in it every night & one night soon after he got it he was wrapped up on the sofa & took a sniff of the blanket & said, "It even smells like Mimi". One happy boy & another happy mimi!
Old 10-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Beautiful story, Mimi. And your grandson is a very special young man!
Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
Thank you for sharing that. I also shared the link on FB.
Just an aside: my 13 yo grandson, who is a star quarterback on his middle school team loved his crocheted blanket until it was just threads. Well last football season when he got me (and grandpa) alone, he said "Baa" was on his last legs. After the football game when he had me totally alone he asked if I would make him another "Baa". It doesn't matter that this boy is bigger than me- he's a grandchild! Oh, and he asked for the same mixed pastels baby yarn.
Well, last month I slipped him the gift bag after a very impressive game. I made that blanket big enough for him to wrap in.
My DDIL told me last week that he wraps up in it every night & one night soon after he got it he was wrapped up on the sofa & took a sniff of the blanket & said, "It even smells like Mimi". One happy boy & another happy mimi!