Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I finally got a Singer Lotus Decal Machine >

I finally got a Singer Lotus Decal Machine

I finally got a Singer Lotus Decal Machine

Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Default I finally got a Singer Lotus Decal Machine

My OSMG called and said that he had ran on to a Singer with the lotus decal that he didn't want and wanted to give it to me as I had told him on previous occasions that I was looking for one. He said it was in pretty bad shape and sure enough he was right. Here are some pictures of the machine. I am wondering if it is worth trying to restore. I know nothing about removing the bobbin case for cleaning on a 66. Also the bottom of the case was in horrible shape but what intrigued me more was the electrical connection in the case. I have never seen anything like this and now I am wondering how would I get a foot pedal attached to the motor. He says the motor looks to be in good condition but he did not test it. Is this kind of like a motor light block and would a motor block light work on this machine. I am also looking around for maybe a decent treadle cabinet and make it into a treadle machine.
Attached Thumbnails front-view.jpg   elec-wires-motor-light.jpg   needle-area-2.jpg   base-needs-repair.jpg   inside-electric-connection.jpg  

connecton-end-something.jpg   plug-case-bottom.jpg   another-connection.jpg   underneath.jpg   case.jpg  

Old 10-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

the electrical obviously needs major work, but the rest looks like it would cleanup very well.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM

I am thrilled for you! The decals look like they are in very good shape. I hope one walks in my direction some day. Congratulations.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM

Blackberry, That machine is a 66-1 and was originally a treadle or hand crank machine.
The motor is a non-OEM Belgelcor. If it's functional it's a very good motor. I'm always looking for them. The wiring is aftermarket as well. The cord block is available from Sew-Classic and other places. That strange plug is I think what is called a Chicago plug. Very hard to find. The light will have to be rewired, maybe the motor too.

The bobbin case needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. To remove it unscrew the vertical screw to the left of the presser foot toe, remove the foot and wriggle the bobbin case holder out, then remove the bobbin case.
The screw entering the bobbin case holder from the side should not be there. That hole should have a cone shaped spring with a felt piece in it to lube the hook.

There is a missing screw on the bottom rod to the right. Not sure where to tell you to look for one of those.

Would I undertake the task of refurbishing that machine? OH YEAH. No hesitation.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 10-13-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:51 AM

I'd say it's worth restoring. It's either filthy, covered with dead shellac or both but the decals are better than most I see around here. The mechanical stuff is far easier to restore than worn out decals. Looks like a pretty standard setup with the addition of the connection on the outside of the box.
Rodney
Old 10-13-2014, 12:07 PM

I want it.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:32 PM

Save it! Restore it to treadle or handcrank, and give it a good cleaning. You'll be glad you did!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:56 PM

My favorite decal set on those!
Old 10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Yes and read everything Glenn has written about shellac finish. I have a Lotus that was that bad or maybe worse. I think I have a picture...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]495315[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]495317[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails old-lotus-singer-66-003.jpg   old-lotus-singer-66-009.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

I think that was just before I put a little oil on it. That powder you have on yours is your dried shellac. GET with Glenn before you do anything. My Lotus will never be perfect but it is greatly improved and works. The arm decals weren't too bad...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]495318[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails old-lotus-singer-66-004.jpg