Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini and micro leftover fabric trash -  what are you doing with them? >

Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 PM

I was thinking of doing dog or cat beds with my scraps and decided that is really not where my interests are. I found a lady close by that likes taking everyone's scraps and making animal beds, children's chairs, stuffed animals, etc. She is happy with all the scraps and I am happy I don't have to throw them out or figure out what to do with them.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I have friends that give me theirs too! I stuff dog beds for a local dog rescue. They give out a bed when they adopt out a dog to a new home. One more stop on the way to the dump! I am like you..I PAID for those scraps! I am SUCH a dog person-makes me happy to know that a doggie has a nice soft bed in a new home.
I save & use mine too for my own dog beds, I have 4 dogs and the youngest likes to tear stuffing out of anything so I'm always prepared to either re stuff or make a new one.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I keep them in a small trash can and when that is full I stuff it in a thrift store pillowcase sew the end up and give to the animal shelter.
Thats a great idea!! Instead of using my fabric to make my dogs beds I'll start looking for & using used pillow cases. Thanks so much for the idea!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 AM

Thank you all for the good ideas. I've been throwing them away. Now I will save for pincushions>. I just finished making six for the bazaar our club is having next week.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 AM

Fabric is $10-12 a yard so wanting to use it all is smart. I save every sliver of fabric and thread and donate it to a lady in our guild who makes dog beds for the humane society.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 AM

Thanks so much for your ideas! I really like mug rug thing. It looks so great! Also the morrocan pouf is great idea.
About the dog bed, also great, but how to dry them after washing without a dryer? Maybe washing and dry them only in hot summer days? An idea is to make a inlet for the scraps, like putting them into a net. This could be washing seperate to the pillowcase and the scraps are able to dry better.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:13 AM

Throw them out. Not interested in making animal beds, know no one who does. Local shelter uninterested. They prefer to run thrift stores. Dislike scrappy quilts and would never make one. Also don't want to make pincushions or other items. No interest. If I wouldn't buy it or use it, I won't make it. Guilds mostly want new stuff or yardage, not scraps. My indoor cats sleep on the bed on whatever quilt I've made and the ferrets would tear anything apart. (They got pieces of fleece big enough to burrow in.)