Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with a Walking Foot >

Quilting with a Walking Foot

Quilting with a Walking Foot

Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Quilting with a Walking Foot

When you are quilting way a walking foot, do you find it turns out better if you go fast or slow.
I guess I mean does the quilt sandwich feed better at a certain speed. Please give me your opinion. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I do slow curves with my walking foot but otherwise it's mainly for straight stitching and yes, i tend to go slow so i can turn it easily and well.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I go at my regular speed unless I am stitching in the ditch, then I go slow. The walking foot will not advance the fabric if you forget to put the arm on the needle bar. You would think I would remember that but it isn't until I wonder why it isn't feeding that the light bulb goes on.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I find that my stitching is better at slower speeds, so is the accuracy of my piecing. Speed never gets you anywhere safely. You want to do your best.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 AM

When I want my stitching to be nice and straight with my walking foot, I sew at a slow-normal speed. When I'm feeling rather crazy and want to end up ripping out lots of tiny stitches, I let 'er rip and go faster.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Slow works for me.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I go at my regular speed unless I am stitching in the ditch, then I go slow. The walking foot will not advance the fabric if you forget to put the arm on the needle bar. You would think I would remember that but it isn't until I wonder why it isn't feeding that the light bulb goes on.

Hmmmmmmm......I did not know this about the arm on the needle bat. I very seldom use it, but will pay attention the next time.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM

I've learned the hard way that there is no gain to being in a hurry with any of the steps in the piecing/quilting process.
I usually take my time when using the walking foot, especially when ditch quilting, as the goal is to position your quilting stitches as close to the seam line as possible while also keeping the needle from piercing the fold.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Great words of wisdom from Jacquie Gering in her Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot (my favorite Craftsy class so far!) - "it's called a walking foot, not a running foot." When in doubt, slow down.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by colorfulom View Post
Great words of wisdom from Jacquie Gering in her Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot (my favorite Craftsy class so far!) - "it's called a walking foot, not a running foot." When in doubt, slow down.
Just a non-biased plug here: Jacquie's class is very good, or at least I think so. I learned so much in general and also got a look at the wonderful creative potential of my walking foot. It's much easier to learn to work with than free motion quilting (not that there is anything wrong with fmq) and even a beginner like me can turn out a very respectable quilt!