Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with a Walking Foot >

Quilting with a Walking Foot

Quilting with a Walking Foot

Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by colorfulom View Post
Great words of wisdom from Jacquie Gering in her Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot (my favorite Craftsy class so far!) - "it's called a walking foot, not a running foot." When in doubt, slow down.
I was going to quote Jacquie Gering; but you beat me to it. Slower works for me.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Yep! Haste definitely makes waste on my machine and also on my cutting board!
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I find that my stitching is better at slower speeds, so is the accuracy of my piecing. Speed never gets you anywhere safely. You want to do your best.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM

I just finished quilting a baby quilt using my walking foot, rather slowly. I had problems with dragging, so it was very difficult to SID because I had pieced baby strips and the pastel colors were too much alike for my poor vision (just recently learned I have glaucoma). Also, the walking foot did not feed very well for some reason, it has never failed me before, but then this is my first try using it on a quilt sandwich. It had a small folded lump at the end of strips where there was a horizontal section to stop at. I always make sure to put the bar in place. Maybe I did not have the sandwich stretched enough.
it is not a generic walking foot, but a Bernina foot, like the machine I was using.

Last edited by GrammieJan; 10-20-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM

I sew at a normal speed. My walking foot won't let me sew fast.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I was taught in Home Ec class to always sew slow when using a foot other then a regular stitch foot. I signed up for the Jacquie Gering Crafty class but haven't watched it yet.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I took the class at craftsy and even as an advanced quilter I learned a bunch. It is definitely worth it, particularly for a beginning quilter.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

My sewing machine manuals say to go slower than when using the free motion foot. I use it mostly to sew on the binding.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 AM

I sew slower with the walking foot or with the free motion foot so that I can be as accurate as possible. I use the walking foot for quilting, especially SID. Sometimes I do SID with the free motion foot. The length of the rows of stitching determine which foot I use. Right now I am involved with a project that switches back and forth from sewing to quilting. It is hard for me to put the walking foot on my Bernina machine (vision problem). So, I have put up a second machine to do the regular sewing with. I would like to take that Craftsy class-maybe after the holidays.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
I just finished quilting a baby quilt using my walking foot, rather slowly. I had problems with dragging, so it was very difficult to SID because I had pieced baby strips and the pastel colors were too much alike for my poor vision (just recently learned I have glaucoma). Also, the walking foot did not feed very well for some reason, it has never failed me before, but then this is my first try using it on a quilt sandwich. It had a small folded lump at the end of strips where there was a horizontal section to stop at. I always make sure to put the bar in place. Maybe I did not have the sandwich stretched enough.
it is not a generic walking foot, but a Bernina foot, like the machine I was using.
Hi Grammie Jan The next time you take your Bernina in for service, be sure to take the walking foot in to see if maybe a part has worn down. I did a lot of custom quilting for others on my Bernina 1530 and literally worn the foot out. Fortunately, these parts can be replaced and your walking foot will be as good as new.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by colorfulom View Post
Great words of wisdom from Jacquie Gering in her Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot (my favorite Craftsy class so far!) - "it's called a walking foot, not a running foot." When in doubt, slow down.
I was just thinking of Jacquie's remark. That class is great. Well worth the money.