Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pressing seams open??? >

pressing seams open???

pressing seams open???

Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Default pressing seams open???

I'm making a baby quilt with a large pieced tractor...[36x 42]..on the front of the quilt. It calls to press open the seams, I have always pressed to the dark side in all my other quilts..

I'm having a problem with pressing the seams open and I keep burning my finger, is there some secret to pressing seams open? It is taking me so long to run my finger into the seam while I press it, sometimes it does not press it flat and have to go back and press some more and then I sometimes burn my finger..GRRRRR

anybody know of a faster way to press these seams open without burning your finger and going a little faster, it is driving me crazy.. Maybe someone has a easier way to do this.. Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 PM

I have a little wooden thing I got from Eleanore Burns web site. I use it first then press the seams with my iron. Its called a wooden iron, but does not look like an iron. It really works!!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 PM

I have seen this http://www.thestripstick.com/ and am going to make one for the next time I make a OBW which needs all the seams pressed open.
I also have one of these which you can run over the seam first. http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/seam-roller.html It does do a pretty good job at pressing the seam even though it is just a wooden roller.
Good luck
Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Here's how do it:

First I press to relax the seam.
Then I use my fingertips to open the seam "walking" them along the seam.
Then I use my fingernails to "press" the seam open from end to end and back.
Last I press right to left using my left index finger to keep the seam open as I carefully left the iron up and over only an inch or so: keep your left index finger at least half an inch away from the tip of the iron. Press slowly!

Sounds like it takes a lot of time but once you get in the groove of pressing seams open, it doesn't take any more time than pressing them to the side.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 PM

are you using steam, is that why your fingers are getting burned?
I never use steam until I have the whole top assembled.
Or is it just the fabric gets hot while you press and manipulate? Been there done that
Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 PM

another tip - press seam flat, then open up and press to one side as you usually do, then press open. I know it's three steps, but in the end it is a lot less hassle than fighting that seam open.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

i'd check a hardware store first to see if you could get a roller like that for less.
many "quilting tools" are really just cleverly marketed items found in hardware stores for much lower prices.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I also have one of these which you can run over the seam first. http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/seam-roller.html It does do a pretty good job at pressing the seam even though it is just a wooden roller.
Good luck
as PatriceJ said, you can get it cheaper... i got a similar roller in the wallpaper section at Home Depot
Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

There is a little metal thing/ring that fits on your index finger tip with a long point for pressing. You could probably do the same thing with a wooden Popsicle stick to hold the seam allowance open while you press.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I press to set the seam, then open up and open the seam up with my finger for about five inches and press that portion open. After that I use the tip of the iron to open the seam, sliding along slowly and lowering the iron periodically. Had lots of practice from clothing construction, so it goes pretty fast.