Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy edges >

Wavy edges

Wavy edges

Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

stunning. breathlessly beautiful!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:19 PM

That's absolutely beautiful! I agree, I wouldn't mind blocking it at all. Bring it on!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
That is gorgeous!!! Absolutely stunning!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we see some close-ups of the quilting????

And yes, I agree with others, block it.
What DogHouseMom said! Please show us more of this beauty and elaborate on how you quilted it.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 AM

What was it before you quilted it....was it two colors as shown or did you add the straight edge....looks like somewhere in the construction of it,it became wonky and the intense quilting just added to it....or .....what kind of fabric is it..linen.if so the weave is looser than cotton and that may have stretched it with the quilting....just some thoughts to try to figure out why......try blocking with a wet cloth steaming as it lay on top of the scarf
Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Beautiful! I would leave it be and it will probably settle down with time as the stitches even out. But that's just my thought.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Omigosh you are right, it is wavy, not good enough for the MIL, you'd better keep it for yourself. lol

I've had that happen and realized it was because I attached the binding a little too tight - I was pulling it taut as I was sewing it on. Dangit. Maybe try hovering over it with a steam iron and see if the steam can shrink those fibers?

Blocking isn't hard to do. I do it in the evenings so the project can sit undisturbed overnight. Spritz it damp with water, massage and finesse it into shape. If you need to use pins to keep the shape, make sure they are rust-proof! Found out the hard way that my yellow flower-head pins are not rust-proof. My tiny applique pins are, though.

p.s. I ended up removing the binding and replacing it, which did fix the problem.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
What was it before you quilted it....was it two colors as shown or did you add the straight edge....looks like somewhere in the construction of it,it became wonky and the intense quilting just added to it....or .....what kind of fabric is it..linen.if so the weave is looser than cotton and that may have stretched it with the quilting....just some thoughts to try to figure out why......try blocking with a wet cloth steaming as it lay on top of the scarf
It was a white cotton dresser scarf with a small amount of embroidery and open work. I layered that on top of a piece of pale green fabric, then batting and backing. I've done others without problem, but with this one I decided to quilt the border by following the fancy edge of the scarf to emphasize it, and maybe that caused the waves.
I guess the good thing about it is that I learned what not to do in the future! Thank you for helping me to figure out how I can do better on the next one.
Steaming it with a wet cloth is a good idea too. Thank you...
Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM

I never thought about the binding being too tight. I'll keep that in mind when attaching bindings from now on. I attached the binding by machine (practicing for big quilts!), so taking it off would be a lot of work.

Thank you Peckish, for taking the time to help me.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Exquisite. She will surely appreciate it, wavy or not. But blocking will definitely help.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

You could lightly spray the back with sizing or starch then press. Beautiful quilting. I have also only washed in could water and laid flat to dry. As we know often the quilting draws up the piece.