Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks? >

Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks?

Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Pre-Wash Vintage Blocks?

I'm a fairly new quilter getting ready to start a quilt that was started by my Grandmother years ago. I have learned that the blocks are from the 1930's - "Gay Calliopsis" #821 from the Rainbow Quilt Block Company. The blocks are applique and embroidery; made sometime between the 30's and early 60's. They were stored very well, no dirt, discoloration or mustiness... I will be using them in a throw-quilt with new currently unwashed fabric fo sashing and backing. There is enough border that I could potentially finish the edges and wash before squaring them up. I will be hand quilting and looking for a "vintage look". Any recommendations?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 AM

If they're not dirty or musty and you're using with unwashed fabric I wouldn't wash them.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Just remember old fabric's shrink a lot more than newer ones do.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Personally, I would not wash them. Whatever you do, do not put them in any type of automatic washer. If you must wash them, just swish them in the sink with a bit of mild laundry soap.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:10 PM

I would be tempted to wash both new and old fabric to reduce what may be a problem. Is it mostly old blocks and just a little fill in with new fabric new fabric you may be able to get away from it.

I would wash the blocks gently by hand and dry out in a salad spinner. Put in a mesh bag in the dryer.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM

I wouldn't wash them. Just keep them as is and work with that and then wash them when they are finished.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
Just remember old fabric's shrink a lot more than newer ones do.
That is just what i was going to say. I received some hand embroidered blocks that my grandma had done many years ago. I zig-zaged the edges and hand washed them. They did shrink and I was glad they did before I went to the work of making the quilt and then washing it and getting a surprise. They were much fresher to work with. They came out nice and white. Sometimes old embroidery floss will color run and I wanted to stop that , too. I prewash everything so I don't have any surprises. Also, if the blocks don't survive the washing, then you will not have already made them into a quilt.

Last edited by maryb119; 11-20-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I would prewash the new by throwing into a mesh laundry bag. and throw some color catchers in with them. The older one's maybe hand wash. I got some vintage squares and washed in a mesh bag on a delicate cycle in warm water. I threw a color catcher in the mix just in case. These squares were a light-medium green and yellow. They all bled. Was glad I washed them. I tossed them into the dryer on tumble low.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

I would not prewash because there are too many risks. Fabric shrinks differently when washed on its own compared to when it is first quilted to a batting and backing and then washed. Once quilted moderately, the batting takes over and prevents fabrics from shrinking outrageously; in other words, the batting stabilizes and moderates the shrinkage of the fabrics.

Risk is also added because you are dealing with both applique and embroidery. If the background fabric shrinks in a disproportionate way (old fabrics can shrink much more in one grainline direction than another, for example), the applique and embroidery may become distorted. If you wait until the background fabric has been quilted, the shapes and forms of the applique and embroidery will be preserved.

Some of the dyes may bleed when washed, but this can be controlled by the way you wash the finished quilt. The best way is to use Synthrapol (suspends unset dye particles in water so they don't settle into other fabrics) and ***lots*** of water to adequately dilute any dye bleeds. The easiest way to do this is in a top-loading washing machine. Fill with water, stop the machine to prevent machine agitation, hand agitate, advance the machine to spin to spin out the water, etc. Refill and re-spin as necessary until the water runs clear, then immediately lay out flat to dry (you do not want wet fabric to remain in contact with wet fabric).

Another advantage to quilting before washing is that the batting and backing layers add stability to what may be slightly fragile block fabrics.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would not prewash because there are too many risks. Fabric shrinks differently when washed on its own compared to when it is first quilted to a batting and backing and then washed. Once quilted moderately, the batting takes over and prevents fabrics from shrinking outrageously; in other words, the batting stabilizes and moderates the shrinkage of the fabrics.

Risk is also added because you are dealing with both applique and embroidery. If the background fabric shrinks in a disproportionate way (old fabrics can shrink much more in one grainline direction than another, for example), the applique and embroidery may become distorted. If you wait until the background fabric has been quilted, the shapes and forms of the applique and embroidery will be preserved.

Some of the dyes may bleed when washed, but this can be controlled by the way you wash the finished quilt. The best way is to use Synthrapol (suspends unset dye particles in water so they don't settle into other fabrics) and ***lots*** of water to adequately dilute any dye bleeds. The easiest way to do this is in a top-loading washing machine. Fill with water, stop the machine to prevent machine agitation, hand agitate, advance the machine to spin to spin out the water, etc. Refill and re-spin as necessary until the water runs clear, then immediately lay out flat to dry (you do not want wet fabric to remain in contact with wet fabric).

Another advantage to quilting before washing is that the batting and backing layers add stability to what may be slightly fragile block fabrics.
Thank you for taking the time to explain this in such detail. I had been undecided about pre-washing until I read your reply.

My Mom was a pre-washer, however, the only vintage piece she worked with was an entire twin top. That top was the same vintage as my blocks, appliqué and embroidery and also made by my paternal grandmother. That quilt came out beautifully.

You mention using Synthrapol. Someone else mentioned using color catchers. I have not used either one. I think I've seen color catchers in the laundry aisle. Is Synthrapol better? Where can I find Sythrapol?