Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you know what a 'mug rug' is? >

Do you know what a 'mug rug' is?

Do you know what a 'mug rug' is?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:22 AM

Default Do you know what a 'mug rug' is?

Recently did two craft shows. Show one was not well organized or advertised, so sales were almost non existent. Sale two was well organized, well advertises and well attended so sales were much, much better. One thing surprised me that people didn't know what a mug rug is. My daughter said I am familiar with the term because I "hand around" sewing and quilting people and sites. So my question to you is: Do you know what a mug rug is?
Here are pictures of the mug rugs I made using Kimberbell's software - made in the hoop.
Also attached are two pictures of the little bird ornaments my daughter makes - she sold a whole lot of them!
Attached Thumbnails mug-rugs.jpg   il_170x135.839726781_13as.jpg   il_170x135.839944224_5k21.jpg  
Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

did you have a sample mug and treat next to them? did you attach one of those cute mug rug poems that explains what they are? you did a nice job on them
Old 11-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I gave them out to my neighbors for Xmas last year and when I called them mug rugs, they understood that it was like a coaster.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM

I had no idea what a Mug Rug was when I first heard the term about 3 years ago.

I think having a display showing one with a cup of cocoa or tea and a cookie would help explain, better than words.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Definitely have one staged on the sale table.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 AM

I think most non-quilters use the term "coaster". I think "mug rug" is a cutesy term coined by quilters/sewists.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:24 PM

A mug rug is not exactly a coaster. A coaster implies that there is a water barrier in it. Like a placemat, it does not have a water barrier, functions like a placemat, but is just smaller. When I sell mine, I put them in a cellophane envelope and include a little explanation in the bag. That way, if it it is purchased as a gift, they will understand what it is used for. When selling them, having the explanation in the bag helps buyers know what they are so you don't have to repeat so much. However, buyers buy more when the seller interacts with them.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Recently did two craft shows. Show one was not well organized or advertised, so sales were almost non existent. Sale two was well organized, well advertises and well attended so sales were much, much better. One thing surprised me that people didn't know what a mug rug is. My daughter said I am familiar with the term because I "hand around" sewing and quilting people and sites. So my question to you is: Do you know what a mug rug is?
Here are pictures of the mug rugs I made using Kimberbell's software - made in the hoop.
Also attached are two pictures of the little bird ornaments my daughter makes - she sold a whole lot of them!
BEAUTIFUL WORK! They are so cute. I have also heard them called "mug mats". Since I am just getting back into sewing/quilting, they will be the first thing I try. They will be Christmas gifts.

My sewing machine also does embroidery. I have had it for a while, at LEAST a year and a half or maybe 2 years or more and just took it out of the box (me bad). I got my sewing desk set up today in the living room since my one time sewing room has become a "junk, storage, catch all room". I have a lot of embroidery thread too from when I got my machine.

Now to put all this to good use!

Your daughter's birds are adorable! She did a great job on them!

Louise
Old 11-08-2015, 05:11 PM

I do! I just made my first one today.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Mug rugs are great way to use scraps. Yours are so cute. I'm with the others, maybe stage and a little note. I like making some in between large projects.