Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you know what a 'mug rug' is? >

Do you know what a 'mug rug' is?

Do you know what a 'mug rug' is?

Old 11-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Put me in the group with having them bigger than a coaster. I usually make mine in the 6 X 9 range, which frustrates me a little because the in-the-hoop ones I have found for machine embroidery are all limited to 5X7, which I consider too small (especially since that is the frame size and the actual mug rug ends up smaller).
Rennie, I found some quilted candle mats by Five Star Fonts which include 8x12 and 7x11. I have added my own designs to these and they make great mug rugs. I also love the way the back is done on these - absolutely no hand sewing. And they are on sale right now. http://fivestarfonts.com/candle-mats-in-the-hoop
Georgia in FL
Old 11-10-2015, 06:17 AM

Yes. I now know what a mug rug is. I didn't before starting to quilt and watching a free lesson on Craftsy.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:09 AM

Nancy could you tell me where I might get that mug rug poem?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 AM

Have no use for them except as cat toys. I've never seen anyone of my acquaintances or even at work use a coaster. All my furniture has a finish I can wash.

It could be regional for all I know.

I never see anyone carrying those big tote bags, either. They will use the smaller grocery ones, but even the ones made as diaper bags aren't used. I do see Vera Bradley bags. I also see the big brand names like Gucci and knockoffs of the same. People seem to like the counterfeit stuff rather than good handmade quilted.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 AM

I love mug rugs. Have made several for me and friends.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 AM

I sold mug rugs at a local craft show a few years ago when they were a brand new concept. I put a label on them that said, "What's a Mug Rug.....a coaster with attitude!" Love the birds. We offered something very similar at our Church bazaar a couple years back and didn't sell one. Funny how things sell in one part of the country and not the other.....I'm in PA.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Chances are that if you are not a quilter or the family or friend of a quilter then you don't know what a mug rug is. I know when I have mentioned them in the past to different people they didn't know what I was talking about. By the way your mug rugs are just adorable. You did an awesome job on them.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

My aunts spend a lot of time together. I sets of 4 for each of them. They can reverse if they want. When I sent them I packed some packets of honey and a variety of tea since they already had coffee and have only ever drank one kind. Both aunts were born in June but are 2 different signs. Attached a pocket for a packaged cookie wrapped in a pretty napkin. Also bought a fancy teaspoon for each one of them. They like that they're easy to clean. They do a lot of hand washing so the size makes it easy. So many things you can do with them.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:29 PM

I make oodles of mug rugs as gifts. They are well recieved and it is not something I spend a lot of time making so I don't worry if people will use or like them. They are not something a person has to introduce into their interior design because they can just be put in a drawer when not in use. If you have an Embroidery machine, www.Sanfranciscostitchco has 2 years of monthly mug rugs. They are so beautiful and easy to make.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 PM

my avatar is a 3D mug rug. i have lots of fun designing, or inventing them. working on a fox now for my dsil who is a hunter. i always think of a mug rug as a coaster on steroids. my cat tiger was my model.