Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron without auto shutoff? >

Iron without auto shutoff?

Iron without auto shutoff?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 PM

Default Iron without auto shutoff?

Is there a steam iron out there that does not have an auto shut off? I know it's a safety feature but I don't like it.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 PM

I have a little travel iron without auto shut off. I have it sitting next to my sewing machine when I piece. (I use the big auto shut off iron for ironing big pieces of fabric or clothes). I do, though, have the small travel iron attached to the same extension cord that a light is attached too. I turn both on together. So I know if the light is on, the iron is too. That way it's easy to remember to turn it off, because I wouldn't leave a light when I left the room!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 PM

okie2tx, don't know what you want to spend but this iron has the option to turn off the auto off feature.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliable-Corpo...iglink21164-20
Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Cheap irons don't have auto shut off. Look for ones under $20.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I have a little travel iron without auto shut off. I have it sitting next to my sewing machine when I piece. (I use the big auto shut off iron for ironing big pieces of fabric or clothes). I do, though, have the small travel iron attached to the same extension cord that a light is attached too. I turn both on together. So I know if the light is on, the iron is too. That way it's easy to remember to turn it off, because I wouldn't leave a light when I left the room!
i like your idea!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 AM

I have this same set up...Works great for me.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:02 AM

Reliable makes an iron where you can override the auto shut off by holding the steam button in till the lights blink. Then it stays on till you turn it off.
I've had it about a year. It's a great iron. It's the orange one they sell.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I use the cheap irons. I don't like the auto shut off either.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 AM

I love your idea. What I have been seeking is an iron with a flat soleplate. Steam irons are great but I love the flat soleplate for fusing. I think a lot about my old sunbeam iron from years ago.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I use to have one but they are hard to find now. I have a Black and Decker one now and it tends to start beeping at me that it's shutting down and i'm ironing!!! moving the iron yet and it says I'm not. STupid iron. I lift the iron point up toward the ceiling and that makes it happy. Hope you find one smarter than I did.